Seems I lost 4th gear about 20 miles back that way somewhere!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems I lost 4th gear about 20 miles back that way somewhere!

Well here's my 1st question or problem to post on here! I'm really vexed so I desperately need yalls knowledgebase. So I buy this '94 F150 XLT 5.0 truck with the 4R70W tranny from my dad before he set the damn thing on fire. He just got the thing out of the shop after replacing the flywheel, starter and flex plate and paying damn near a grand for it all. He drives it for 2 days and on his way home its shifting through the gears fine and when it shifts to overdrive its not there! It revs up just like it was in neutral. So he is hotter than fish grease at this point and takes it back to the shop and they take it apart to make sure everything was assembled right on their part. Everything seemed right on there part and sent him on his way as he cussed them til he was hoarse. Before he burned it to the ground I gave him a thousand for it to shut him up and save this workhorse of a truck. So in saying that can anyone tell me why it would do this and especially right after someone had just worked on and around the tranny itself? Was it the shops doing or merely coincidence? Before i rebuild it or buy another one I was going to start by replacing the MLPS Sensor and probably the TRS also. Am i spinning my wheels or on the right track? The last thing i want to do is pay someone damn near a hundred bucks to run a diagnostic check on it, but that just me being stubborn and tighter than frog P**** when it comes to my hard earned money! Please help if you can! TY

Old 11-28-2015, 05:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you sure it's neutral in just overdrive? Is 3rd maybe gone too? If 3rd as well then potential intermediate shaft or direct clutch damage.

Could also be the overdrive band, overdrive servo, e-clip on the overdrive servo or a valve body issue.

D

Old 11-29-2015, 08:43 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by nate2288
Before i rebuild it or buy another one I was going to start by replacing the MLPS Sensor and probably the TRS also.
That will be an interesting trick since the MLPS and TRS are two names for the same part.

Am i spinning my wheels or on the right track?
You're spinning your wheels. You don't know what's wrong, but you're going to spend money changing parts. That is ALWAYS spinning your wheels.

The last thing i want to do is pay someone damn near a hundred bucks to run a diagnostic check on it, but that just me being stubborn and tighter than frog P**** when it comes to my hard earned money! Please help if you can! TY
So you're willing to spend hundreds or even thousands to blindly change parts, but not willing to spend a hundred to find out what's wrong? Sorry, I can't help you. The only thing I can do is list all the parts. You buy them and install them, and maybe you'll get lucky and change the right one. Maybe not.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Mark is right... just bring it to someone, even Ford, and have them look at it and diagnose the issue so you can buy the right part(s), install it, and be happy with the truck.

Sounds like for what you bought it for, $100-200 for diag fees wouldn't make me quiver one bit. Sounds like a relatively well taken care of truck.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
Are you sure it's neutral in just overdrive? Is 3rd maybe gone too? If 3rd as well then potential intermediate shaft or direct clutch damage.

Could also be the overdrive band, overdrive servo, e-clip on the overdrive servo or a valve body issue.

D
Yes....I feel the tranny go through all the gears and when it shifts to OD it acts like I'm in neutral! Just revs up, and if I press the OD button it goes back to 3rd gear.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:52 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I would most likely say it's one of the things I listed in regards to the overdrive components or valve body. The snap ring or e-clip breaking are really common. Usually the scrap parts end up in the valve body and stick a valve.

D

Quick Reply: Seems I lost 4th gear about 20 miles back that way somewhere!