2001 Ford F150 2WD 5.4L Tranny Issues & Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2001 Ford F150 2WD 5.4L Tranny Issues & Etc.

So I have this truck....It's my husbands.
2001 Ford F150 2WD 5.4L. It's got it's second engine in it so the mileage is unknown. The tranny may or may not be original. I'm guessing no.. It's got a brand new tranny pan and lines. More than likely the filters were done at the same time. That work was done before my husband came to own her. But I was in the last 2 years.cWell guys, it's ah shifting up at down at about 2k rpms. The tranny was bone dry running when I checked the dip stick!! I added 5 quarts of atf and a quart of Lucas tranny slipstop.
I'm afraid of what I already think I know is the problem. I can speak mechanic. I grew up around it. But I'm not an expert on every little thing, but I can take things apart and put them back together and not mess it up. I don't know what tranny I'm looking for to replace it. I know the bellhousing has to match, I'm going to need fluid, I'm going to need gasket maker, I'm going to need a jack, sockets, extensions, a torque wrench? If I can find one sure.. But there is other things I'm forgetting I think and I don't want to screw it up on him when I go to swap trannys. Advice would be appreciated. I think I'm looking at a new tranny anyway..

Old 10-19-2015, 12:42 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
You need a 4R70W out of a 99-03 2wd F-150 that has a 4.6 or 5.4 for a direct replacement.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:48 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Like glc said.

Also, please never use gasket maker on these transmissions. The factory gaskets are awesome and if you have a leak then you have a problem that needs to be corrected.

For fluid, definitely only use Mercon V and never put any additives in it. Again, awesome fluid and additives most often do more damage than good.

Get a rebuilt torque converter and replace the transmission cooler if the fluid smells burnt or the pan and magnet have a lot of accumulated crap.

D

Old 10-19-2015, 03:38 PM
New pan and lines and fluid last year. New filters.
Nothing in the radiator. Only anti freeze. Smells like anti freeze looks green no floaties. The tranny fluid is not going on the ground and it's not in the radiator.. I have no idea where is going but it ain't staying in that tranny. I put 3 more quarts in it today. So 8 total. If I turn the overdrive off button on it doesn't seem to be doing the shift fluctuation. I think it got hot. Very hot. And it hurt the clutches. I promise to buy the gaskets and not be lazy. But the fluid in the tranny smells fine and is still red. I did use Mercon V. I did know that much.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:17 PM
Does the trans slip in gears? Does it shift properly in other gears? Is the only defect that over drive is not engaging?

Quick Reply: 2001 Ford F150 2WD 5.4L Tranny Issues & Etc.