07 4X4 Binding in Reverse

Old 10-01-2015, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 4X4 Binding in Reverse

07 F150 KR 4X4 230xxx miles auto trams

Recently changed gear oil in both diffs. This morning as I was backing out the driveway I decided to engage 4x4 just to give it a spin. I like to do it once a week just to keep things moving. I'm stopped and when it engages I hear a loud clunk. Start backing up and turn the wheel and it binds to a stop. Give a lil gas and still no movement. Put in drive it works fine. Try reverse again and bind. So I take it out of 4wd hear the clunk as it dis engaged, backed up up just fine. Any ideas? Ball joints and cv axles look good. Gear wear patterns looked good even though the oils were trashed. Trans oil and transfer case oils look good and correct level.

Thank you

Old 10-05-2015, 03:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of surface were you on? If you were on a high traction surface, like dry pavement, and turned the wheel left or right while going forward or backing up in 4WD, it will absolutely bind up. This isn't an AWD vehicle. When in 4WD, the front and rear driveshafts are locked to the same speed. Turning on high traction surfaces in 4WD should never be done and is a fast way to start breaking parts because of the extreme stress from binding.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07 4X4 Binding in Reverse