2006 F-150 Transmission Issue

Old 09-16-2015, 08:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 F-150 Transmission Issue

I have a 2006 F-150 Supercab with a 4.6 and 4R70 trans, about 126,000 miles. Maintained impeccably. It has run perfectly in the three years or so I have had it, until recently.

I plugged in a Slime brand air compressor to air up a tire, to the cig lighter. It blew the plug. I plugged it in again to the plug behind the arm rest. Same result: blown power plug. About a week later, the trans started to slip. Would not go firmly into gear, slipped in First, and did not shift well into Second. Got a message on the odometer that said, "TRANS FAULT". Tried to plug in an engine analyzer, and the screen would not light up. Took it to the shop and they said it is probably something internal. I think I may have blown a shift module or something.

Is this a common problem? can anyone offer some advice to pinpoint the issue without buying a reman trans or spending too much going into this one?

Thanks on advance for any help.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the power port up front isn't working, then the obd port will not either. They are on the same circuit. Have you checked the fuses? You'll need to get that fixed before anything else. Even if the truck is trying to tell you what's wrong (giving a code), it doesn't help if you can't read the code.
I'm not sure what's going on with the transmission, but if you're having electrical issues, the transmission issues could be related. I'll try to find a wiring diagram to see if the transmission is connected to the rear power port.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:18 PM
Blown shift module in 2006 F-150?

I have a 2006 F-150 Supercab with a 4.6 and 4R70 trans, about 126,000 miles. Maintained impeccably. It has run perfectly in the three years or so I have had it, until recently.

I plugged in a Slime brand air compressor to air up a tire, to the cig lighter. It blew the plug. I plugged it in again to the plug behind the arm rest. Same result: blown power plug. About a week later, the trans started to slip. Would not go firmly into gear, slipped in First, and did not shift well into Second. Got a message on the odometer that said, "TRANS FAULT". Tried to plug in an engine analyzer, and the screen would not light up. Took it to the shop and they said it is probably something internal. I think I may have blown a shift module or something.

Is this a common problem? can anyone offer some advice to pinpoint the issue without buying a reman trans or spending too much going into this one?

Old 09-16-2015, 10:32 PM
Will do. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:31 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Post deleted, answered in your other thread.

Last edited by glc; 09-17-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:23 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Two threads merged, one thread per subject, please. Just creates confusion for those trying to help.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:20 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Perhaps your Slime air compressor has a problem and is pulling way too much power.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by VAmountainman

Its an electrical issue... check fuses under hood, one of them is for trans shift solenoids

Old 09-18-2015, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
Perhaps your Slime air compressor has a problem and is pulling way too much power.
That air compressor is going into the trash. I am more concerned with getting the trans back to functional. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by mitymerc
Its an electrical issue... check fuses under hood, one of them is for trans shift solenoids
They checked all the fuses, and said none were blown. it is headed for the trans shop. I will post when they diagnose.

Thanks for the input.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 F-150 Transmission Issue