No Overdrive on occassion

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Overdrive on occassion

I was leaving a meeting yesterday and I noticed that starting out from a red light it would rev higher than normal before shifting into 2nd gear and the same for third. Thought I might have pushed the O/D on/off button on the center console by accident but that was not the case. Drove it like that and stopped to pick up dinner, then drove home. Same thing. Pulled over after getting a little closer to home and I turned the O/D off by the button then back on and it seemed to work. This morning, left the house and seemed to be working fine. Stopped and got gas then it did not want to go into overdrive. Had the tranny flushed about 30000 miles ago. Have 232000 on the truck. Original engine and transmission. I thought it might have been the servo clip but I am not sure since it seems to work then not work then work. Any suggestions?

Old 08-21-2015, 02:21 PM
I have been trying to research this online but am not having any luck, but I was thinking, could there be a short in the O/D button? It doesn't show up on the dash as off when it is reving higher but I thought it might not.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:12 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Whether or not the OD button works or not, or has a short or not, it will not affect the 1-2 or 2-3 shift. It also isn't the OD servo clip. That can't affect anything other than the 3-4 shift. I think it would be worthwhile to see if any codes are stored. The places that read codes free CANNOT read the codes you need.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure, but I might have found the problem. Wife told me that the truck has served it's purpose, and after 232k, it is time to let it go and trade it in. As I was just checking things out I figured I would check all the fluids, belt, hoses and such. I pulled the air filter and decided to replace it. Put the new filter in and took it to fill up the gas cans for the lawn mower and it ran fine. Took it on a longer drive and shifted fine. Could the engine been starving for air causing it to hit a higher RPM before shifting? PS Planned on having a transmission shop see if the could pull a code until this happened.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:46 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Yes a plugged air filter can cause late shifts.

Quick Reply: No Overdrive on occassion