4R75E Fairbanks Power Tow shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 08:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4R75E Fairbanks Power Tow shift kit

So its time to replace the torque converter in my 04+ FX4 5.4L. I can't see pulling a trans with 175000 miles on it and not rebuilding it. So I will be rebuilding it as well. I'm looking for feedback on the Fairbanks Power Tow shift correction kit. Has anyone used it on the 4R75E in the 04-08 F150? How did you like it? I don't want the shifts to be ridiculously harsh, but want to firm it up a little. It says it has three levels of calibration and is tuner friendly. Thanks in advance for the info...

David

Old 08-19-2015, 08:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
That kit has the Superior "Tuff plate" with some accumulator springs and a few Sonnax parts. The price isn't awful for it all packaged together with instructions, but you do all the work yourself and the individual parts can be had for less. I am not a fan of the steel spools or that 2-3 accumulator. Guys use them though.

I used to offer a plate kit that accomplished the same, but it was a tech support nightmare so I eliminated it and went back to only the full custom valve body kits. Since doing that, people still have install issues from time to time but nobody has ever destroyed their valve body and been totally stuck until they can get a new one.

There are better and there are worse out there.

D

Old 08-21-2015, 09:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Darrin,

How does the kit compare to what you are doing with your custom valve bodies? Your description reads you do mods similar to the Jmod, What differences will I see with your modified valve body vs stock vs the power tow kit? I have read that some of the Jmod changes were incorporated into the 4R75E and the Jmod wouldn't make a lot of difference. Also is it beneficial on the 4r75e to have the tuff plate or is it more for the 4r70? Sorry for all the questions just trying to make an informed decision!

Old 08-23-2015, 09:49 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It was posted many years back that some of what is done in the J-mod was incorporated into the newer valve bodies. From there, as will happen, assumptions were made that the newer valve bodies had a LOT more done to them than the reality of it. What was done to the new ones had to do with the exhaust orifices more than anything. So, you can do even the most mild of the J modifications and still see a good result.

Specifically:

In 96 Ford enlarged the feed orifice for the intermediate clutch and the exhaust for the forward clutch.

With the new plate design in 01 the direct clutch exhaust was enlarged and the design was changed to improve the overdrive servo exhaust circuit.

There were other various changes, but those are the most specific to what Jerry suggested. Somehow those changes were taken by the populace to mean that the new valve bodies already had a J-mod. Not sure how that happened. LOL

And yes, I have said that my modifications incorporate Jerry's stuff. Any good modification should. He gave us info on stuff that should have been done to these in the first place. Even Ford followed suit down the road.

I guarantee you notice what I do to my kits and I guarantee its all for the better. I can honestly say that I cannot remember a single complaint of dissatisfaction from anyone who has purchased a setup specifically for their vehicle directly from me.

The Superior plate is a good plate. I think it's worth the extra to use one. I tried to include them on my kits, but people just will not pay the extra for them. It seems that it's all about the price on the internet nowadays.

D

Quick Reply: 4R75E Fairbanks Power Tow shift kit