2000 XLT Triton 5.4 Liter V8 - Transmission Issue?

Old 06-23-2015, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 XLT Triton 5.4 Liter V8 - Transmission Issue?

Hey guys,

I've visited this forum several times, but have finally signed up to seek your advice on my truck. I have a 2000 Ford F150, automatic, XLT 5.4 Liter V8. It has 274,000. I bought it cheap last fall as a "winter beater," as we call them up here in Wisconsin.

The truck looks and - for the most part - drives amazing for something this old and with this many miles, but the other day it began having issues.

I pulled out onto the road and realized that I had another car behind me closing fast, so I gunned it. I made it up to about 25 miles per hour (2nd gear, I think), and it was like the transmission disengaged. The pedal was down, the engine was revving, but I wasn't gaining any speed. I took my foot off the gas and punched it again, and then it engaged.

I drove it again last night and it worked fine for the most part, but the issue did pop up again a time or two. It seems to happen most when I'm trying to accelerate quickly.

I assume that my transmission is going? Has anybody experienced this issue before? I just read another post that sounded eerily familiar to my situation, but the post didn't say what the actual issue was

One last thing that may speak into this - Since I bought the truck there has been an occasional (not consistent) issue that happens when I am going uphill. When the transmission downshifts, it "clunks" into the lower gear. It doesn't transition smoothly, but with a bang. Same issue, different symptom?

Sucks that I'll need to replace the tranny this quickly after buying the truck, but that's probably what I get for buying one with such high miles. I may need to make the difficult decision on whether to put the money into the transmission, or eat the loss on what I paid for the truck.

Any thoughts or advice are welcome.

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2015, 03:49 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Have you properly checked the fluid level? This really sounds like a fluid issue.

D

Old 06-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Hi Darrin,

Thanks for responding!

I've checked the fluid level:

-When cold, it's high. It's well beyond the "Do Not Add" level.

-When the engine is running, it drops down well into the safe zone.

The fluid is pinkish-red in color, and doesn't smell burnt. It almost has a citrus smell to it.

As you've probably already ascertained, I'm largely "automotively illiterate." I can change my oil and change my battery, but beyond that I'm out of my league.

Thanks again!

Last edited by MilltownMoose; 06-23-2015 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Checked the truck while running
Old 06-25-2015, 07:50 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I wonder if the filter hasn't fallen off.

D

Old 06-25-2015, 09:53 PM
I'll check on that! Thank you, sir!

Old 06-29-2015, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Darrin, I have a question. If the filter fell off the bottom wouldnt all the fluid come out and on to the ground?
Or is there another filter that I dont know about?
Im an engine guy NOT a transmission guy LOL I will leave that to you real mechanics!
I have the same slipping issue without all the clunking and it slips on the upshift, its like the torque converter spins up then engages. Ijust figured Id run er till she blows then swap it out for a rebuilt.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:03 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
The transmission filter is internal. If it falls off it will be sitting in the pan.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:06 PM
Ok cool, and I will swap out my plugs this weekend provided the motorcraft plugs are back in stock

Old 06-29-2015, 03:45 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Why not order them online? They are about $2.50 apiece at rockauto.com.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:04 AM
TWS
Had the same issue with a 2001 and found that the transission lost the 4th gear. AAMCO rebuilt tranny, fixed the issue. EXCEPT the following. Ready for this. Had them replace rear seal for the drive shaft, well they forgot to put 90W back in rear axle and it siezed the yoke shaft to the bearing. Since it was their fault, got a complete rebuild on rear end for free. Wahoo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 XLT Triton 5.4 Liter V8 - Transmission Issue?