Needing some transmission advice, or troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Needing some transmission advice, or troubleshooting

Hi there. I have an 07 f150 4.2L automatic. I am worried that my transmission is not shifting correctly. I have a body lift on the truck (they don't make a body lift for v6, so the transmission linkage adapter that keeps the cable attached to the tranny is rigged. When I first put it on I had to take the bolt or clip on the transmission where they met and adjust them a little bit so I could properly shift to all gears. That linkage is stable and I can shift into all gears however I have a terrible fear this may be causing my issue, maybe not though, just wanted to get that out there.

The issue I'm having is it seems most the time the truck acts like it's not in overdrive. Even though you can turn overdrive on and off it always feels like you're at high rpm's on the highway and doesn't feel like it ever shifts like you'd expect if you were in overdrive. It acts almost like it's in second gear, even though I can switch to second gear. Unfortunately I don't have a tach to be able to verify the high rpm's.

I'm not throwing any codes, so I don't know how the dealership can/will troubleshoot this to verify I don't have a transmission problem. Is there a way for them to test this or is it pointless without any codes? Any idea what could cause this?

Old 05-05-2015, 09:03 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
A scan tool can look into the computer and find out what gear the transmission is really in at any time. That's what you'll need to find out what's wrong. A good independent shop or a Ford dealer will have this tool. Or you could buy an Auto Enginuity for about $400 and do it yourself.

Last edited by Mark Kovalsky; 05-11-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I would recommend taking it to the dealer. For a fee they can quickly diagnose it.

I would rather spend $100 at a diag fee to have it looked at than sit there and wonder.

Gives you that peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Needing some transmission advice, or troubleshooting