2000 F-150 5.4 four-wheel-drive transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 F-150 5.4 four-wheel-drive transmission swap

Does anyone know of a way to remove the transmission without removing the exhaust or the transfer case your help would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-01-2015, 05:34 PM
Removing the trans without removing the tcase has to literally be impossible .. Not removing the exhaust is not impossible but def. can not be done if you dont remove the tcase.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:01 PM
Ok definitly not what I wanted to hear but in that case would you think I could cut and successfully repair exhaust crossmember or would I have to remove torsion bar crossmember I order together t-case out and if I have t remove torsion crossmember do you have any tips I've never worked with them before?

Old 04-08-2015, 04:34 AM
The transfer case will need to be separated. You can drop the transmission with the exhaust installed, but you will be scraping the output shaft on the exhaust.

Name:  1426234229_zpsd0d2b71d.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  191.1 KB

Old 04-08-2015, 11:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AndersonS
The transfer case will need to be separated. You can drop the transmission with the exhaust installed, but you will be scraping the output shaft on the exhaust.
Anderson, his older year model truck has torsion bar front suspension.

You can remove the transmission the with exhaust in place, but I recommend separating the exhaust pipe at factory clamp just behind the Y-pipe, in front of the muffler.

You need a special tool to take tension off the torsion bars, then remove the entire torsion bar support/crossmember and separate the transfer case from the transmission

Old 04-09-2015, 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by mitymerc
Anderson, his older year model truck has torsion bar front suspension.

You can remove the transmission the with exhaust in place, but I recommend separating the exhaust pipe at factory clamp just behind the Y-pipe, in front of the muffler.

You need a special tool to take tension off the torsion bars, then remove the entire torsion bar support/crossmember and separate the transfer case from the transmission
I considered that as well, but the exhaust was pretty rusty.

I also decided to leave the transfer case in the truck because the mated assembly is a little too heavy for me to handle by myself in the driveway. lol

For the OP, I was wondering why you need both the transmission and the transfer case out of the truck?

Quick Reply: 2000 F-150 5.4 four-wheel-drive transmission swap