97 auto. 1st gear but no 2 or3

Old 03-07-2015, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 97 auto. 1st gear but no 2 or3

Just bought a 97 XLT with 4.6 V8 with auto trans. The people I bought it from had replaced the trans with a salvage trans and it wasn't working right, they changed the shift solenoid and it didn't help, so they decided to sell it.I think I got a great deal even if I end up rebuilding trans.

O.D.light flashes , and have check engine light . I get a po750 code on my cheap code reader.
I think I have got the trans fluid full now(it was really low when I 1st got the truck). Reverse and 1st work good but I have no 2nd or 3rd, the engine races when it tries to shift up from 1 to 2. I changed the output speed sensor,and as I stated earlier the shift solenoid is new also. When I erased the codes they come right back also.
I know I may need to take it to a shop to get the trans code, but would like to avoid a tow bill.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:28 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
P0750 means there is an electrical circuit fault in the circuit to SS1. Since you change the solenoid you have proved that the problem is a wiring issue. There is an open or short circuit in the wiring from the PCM to shift solenoid 1.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mark. I was thinking it was probably an electrical issue since I'm still getting the same code.will check it out first chance I get,storing the truck at my brother -in-laws for now,no room at my place.
Bought this truck cause my other 97 f150 xlt is all rusted out and starting to have a few minor issues with 250k on it. This truck has a really nice cab but bed is dented up (bed on the other is nice)and only 170k on it. Hope to make one nice truck and have the other as a work truck.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
check the transmission wire harness... VERY common for the harness to get mis-routed on the passenger side and burn against the exhaust. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 auto. 1st gear but no 2 or3