Tranny seems to cutout shifting into second

Old 01-30-2015, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny seems to cutout shifting into second

Hey guys still trying to figure out what is wrong with my truck. 02 f150 5.4 tranny went a year ago and i had it rebuilt 2200 dollars later... Ever since if i am at a complete stop and go but this is giving it some gas probably hitting around 2500rpms. Once it goes to shift everything cuts out for a second then comes back to life. I contacted the guy who rebuilt it for me and he took it for a ride and looked at and did whatever he wanted to do. I recieved a call back and he says it shifts beautifully and no issues. I didn't even want to argue with him so i went on my way. This summer the tranny blew again and he then accused me of being abusive when i drive the thing like a grandpa would. It was rebuilt again under warranty but still does the same cutout shifting into second. I just don't understand whats wrong. Before this all happened my tranny was fine. Let me know what you think. Not a lot of information but thats all i got.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:21 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
When the transmission shifts the computer retards the engine spark to reduce the torque the engine makes during the shift. That may be what you are feeling. Sometimes the timing isn't quite right and it is more noticeable than others. It can feel like the engine shuts off for a second, though the spark is actually retarded for less than a second.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:19 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
When the transmission shifts the computer retards the engine spark to reduce the torque the engine makes during the shift. That may be what you are feeling. Sometimes the timing isn't quite right and it is more noticeable than others. It can feel like the engine shuts off for a second, though the spark is actually retarded for less than a second.
Yeah, that spark retard can be killer on a vehicle with a "shift kit" and no tune to correct for it. It feels just plain stupid but it's an easy fix.

D

Old 02-12-2015, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
Yeah, that spark retard can be killer on a vehicle with a "shift kit" and no tune to correct for it. It feels just plain stupid but it's an easy fix.

D
We being serious about calling it a spark retard? Lol it happened after tranny was fixed so I'm not sure. I know nothing about trannys. Just thought i like to blow two in one year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny seems to cutout shifting into second