M5R2 hard to shift

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M5R2 hard to shift

Hi all new member here. I'll try and be as complete as possible but this kinda baffles me. Well about 4 months ago I was driving along and my transmission went. Had it towed back home and turns out input shaft bearing had completely fallen a part. Well I went ahead and rebuilt the trans took my time and double checked each step. Well I finally get it all together and today started her up.

At first o couldn't shift into any gear with engine running. Bled the slave cylinder a little more and now it can shift up though its a little hard. But I absolutely can not down shift at any time. I even heard grinding gears trying to go from 4 to 3. My question is did I miss something? It works OK when upshifting like new. Bit it just will not downshift no matter what. I even tried floating it in clutch less and it just wouldn't go. Anybody have any ideas?

Old 01-27-2015, 06:44 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Did you rebuild the clutch when you had it out? Did you replace the pilot bearing?

Old 01-27-2015, 11:44 PM
I had actually done a clutch job about a week before the thing gave out on me. Replaced the clutch pressure plate pilot bearing and slave cylinder. Only a few hundred miles on them. I'm gonna start taking the trans back out tomorrow I just don't know where to start.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:32 PM
Well I just tried to drive it again. Engine running truck not moving I can go into any gear. I start moving and go to switch gears and it won't go in gear just stays in neutral. I just hear grinding when I try going between gears with the truck moving.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:20 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Can you "crash shift" it by matching rpm's like truck drivers do? If so, your clutch is not disengaging or the pilot bearing is seized.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:10 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Engine running 2000 rpm, try shifting from 1st to reverse and back again. If it grinds suspect the clutch. That is assuming you rebuilt the M5OD correctly. Which parts did you change? Did you follow the procedure for shimming the input and intermediate shafts? You took it all apart and cleaned every thing?

Quick Reply: M5R2 hard to shift