2002 Ford 5.4 trans and 4x4 problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Ford 5.4 trans and 4x4 problems

How's it going my name is Joe and I just purchased a 2002 f 150 XLT with the 5.4 motor I'm having some transmission problems and don't understand what to do if I put the truck in reverse it is Just fine if I put the truck into drive the truck must rev up and then slams into gear any help will be greatly appreciated also having problem with 4 wheel drive I can hear it click but the tires don't spin thanks and have a great day

Old 01-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 02fordjoe
How's it going my name is Joe and I just purchased a 2002 f 150 XLT with the 5.4 motor I'm having some transmission problems and don't understand what to do if I put the truck in reverse it is Just fine if I put the truck into drive the truck must rev up and then slams into gear any help will be greatly appreciated also having problem with 4 wheel drive I can hear it click but the tires don't spin thanks and have a great day
Joe!

Wellsir - cain't hep yall wif ye Tranny problem - but be patient - one of our Experts will be along, I'm sure. Reckon it don't look too good - have ye had a full fluid exchange done and have yer checked the fluid level?

Meanwhile, I kin at least git ye started on ye Fer X Fer issue - this'n may hep ye:

==> https://www.f150online.com/forums/19...iagnosing.html

good luck!

Old 01-23-2015, 10:37 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It really sounds to me like the fluid level in the transmission is low. Always start there.

D

Old 01-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
It really sounds to me like the fluid level in the transmission is low. Always start there.

D
Well I check in to in more i drove it for 10 mins check fluid an it looks to be over full what is the easy way to remove fluid

Old 01-24-2015, 05:34 PM
Well I check in to in more i drove it for 10 mins check fluid an it looks to be over full what is the easy way to remove fluid
Pump it out the dipstick. ( I don't think yer year truck has a TC drain plug - not sure when they stopped that, exactly. )

Old 01-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Sounds good I will try that what happens when I remove some fluid and it still dose this ???

Old 01-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Sounds good I will try that what happens when I remove some fluid and it still dose this ???
Then you hope that Darrin or Mark reply and further advise you.

I'm just the Concierge.

good luck
MGD

Old 01-25-2015, 11:45 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I think you are making the mistake that almost everyone makes when trying to read their fluid level for the first time and I am betting that it is not over full. This isn't like checking engine oil level. The golden rule here is to pay absolutely zero attention to the highest wet mark as that is almost always NOT the fluid level.

The way to properly read the fluid is to have the vehicle sitting on level ground, running at idle and in park. Pull the dipstick and wipe it clean. Re-insert the dipstick and pull it again. Check the fluid level by looking for the LOWEST DRY SPOT on the dipstick. Wipe the dipstick clean and re-insert it. Pull it and check again for the lowest dry spot on the stick. If you repeat the measurement you got the last time, that is your fluid level.

You really want this to be low on fluid because if that isn't it you are in for a transmission repair. Advice is free and fluid is cheap. Transmission repairs are neither. That is why we always tell people to make really sure that their fluid isn't low.

If this is not a low fluid issue, the best case scenario is a loose or cracked filter. Next up would be a valve body problem and past that it's internal and time for a rebuild.

I hope it's low fluid.

D

Quick Reply: 2002 Ford 5.4 trans and 4x4 problems