4r75e Fluid Way Over Full

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4r75e Fluid Way Over Full

Done some searching and browsing but haven't really seen this on the forum. I bought a used 07 SCREW with around 92k on it a few months ago. I checked the transmission fluid a few days ago, IAW the owners manual, and the fluid looks like its way over full. Like 2+ quarts, even when its cold. The stick rubs the tube wall when going in but the fluid looks too thick that high up to just be transferred from the tube. The fluid looks and smells OK.

Is there any reason that the fluid may have been purposely over filled? Would it make a failing transmission work for a little longer?

I've got a filter and going to do a pan drop over the weekend. And see if anything looks fishy. I've noticed a little flare and sometimes a hard shift into 3rd under light throttle. But those issues are exactly what the TSB describes for a PCM flash. I don't think they are fluid related.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:54 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
When you do your pan drop, measure how much comes out if you can get the pan down without spilling. It should be about 5 quarts.

You are checking it warm with the engine running in Park, right?

Old 11-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by glc
When you do your pan drop, measure how much comes out if you can get the pan down without spilling. It should be about 5 quarts.

You are checking it warm with the engine running in Park, right?
I'm going to try and measure it without making a huge mess.

I followed the guidelines in the owners manual. Drove to work, about 30 mins on the highway, went thru all the gear selections, put it in park. Even when it's cold it still looks that high on the stick.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I always tell everyone to do this when checking their fluid because they think it's as easy as reading their engine oil dipstick and it is not.

In park with the engine running, pull the dipstick, wipe the dipstick and re-insert all the way. Pull the dipstick again and look for the lowest dry spot on both sides of the dipstick. Your fluid level is the bottom of the lowest dry spot no matter which side of the dipstick it's on.

Look for any dry spots on the dipstick always. The bottom of the lowest dry spot is your level. People always miss that part and look at the highest wet spot. That is incorrect as this is not your level. You will not have any dry spot below the level of your fluid.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks Darrin! I'll take a look at that as soon as I get to the house.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:22 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Did you ever figure out the issue?

D

Old 11-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I just finished up. I measured the old fluid, right at 5 qts. The old filter was pretty clean but the magnet was covered. I'm about to fill it back up and see what the stick looks like.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:27 PM
4.5 quarts put it right in the middle of the cross hatches. I'm gunna a leave it there. Maybe it's just me but it feels like it shifts a little smoother. Gunna get it flushed and replace the filter again.

Put a pan on with the drain plug, so if anyone needs a stock pan let me know.

Quick Reply: 4r75e Fluid Way Over Full