Front Diff leaking, how to tell?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Diff leaking, how to tell?

I have a 2003 F150 FX4 4x4 with around 220k on it. I had the snows put on today and the kid who did it mentioned that I have a Front Differential leak, and showed me with the truck on the hoist. Now I agree that it is wet under there however I had the truck sprayed 3 weeks ago so it's really hard to tell as everything is wet. I have not noticed any spots under the truck and wondering if there is any way to check fluid levels or what to look for? I am about to take it to moose camp which is 2.5 hour drive and wanted to know if there was a quick way to tell. Should I take a bottle of gear lube with me or do I have to have special tools to put oil in it? Please advise and provide your thoughts. I have never had a Ford that leaked in this spot, but I have never had one that had the rear diff explode until that happened last fall.
Any advice would be helpful.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:46 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
All you have to do is remove the fill plug with a wrench and stick your pinkie in the hole and feel for fluid. If it's low, use one of these (link below) to top it off with 75W90. Fill it till it drips.

http://www.harborfreight.com/oil-suction-gun-95468.html

Old 10-28-2014, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did that based on information I found here after posting. Thanks. I don't believe that it's leaking so that's a good thing. Thanks GLC!

Quick Reply: Front Diff leaking, how to tell?