Should I change transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I change transmission fluid

I got a problem where my truck shakes at 30 then will shake when I get to 45mph. At first I thought it was my U-joints but I got those replaced and the problem didn't go away. The shaking is mainly at the shift points where after the truck shifts it begins to shake. The mechanic told me that it could be that I have to change my transmission fluid. At 122,000miles and not a single transmission fluid change is it safe to change my transmission fluid without damaging the transmission as I have read else where?

Edit: truck is an automatic

Old 09-02-2014, 08:08 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
What year model is the truck?

Old 09-02-2014, 09:08 PM
It's a 2001 Ford F-150 4.6L V8 4x2 Standard Cab

I know most of that information is useless in this situation but it doesn't hurt to put it up

Old 09-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you either need a tune up or you are experiencing torque converter shudder.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need a GOOD scanner one that can read mode 6 live missfire counts. It will tell you if its a missfire and I bet it is. Change you transmission fluid if you want the transmission to last. I change mine very frequently. Last change I used amsoil so I'm giving that 50,000 miles. When I bought my truck I brought it home got my tools out and took off the pan. Hadnt had it an hour..

Old 09-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Alright so a transmission flush won't mess up the transmission even if I have never changed transmission fluid before...I just bought the truck like 4 months ago and I'm 100% sure previous owner never changed it...I've read articles of people saying that if you have never changed the oil in the transmission and it has more than 100k miles don't do a transmission flush because it will mess up your transmission....as far as the misfire all the spark plugs are recently replaced like 2 weeks ago aswell as the coils...

Old 09-02-2014, 09:43 PM
What's the way to fix the torque converter shudder

Old 09-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Guys thoughts on this lol

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...eyword=shudder

I did some research on it and some people say it works and some say it doesn't....there is more people saying it works than there are saying it doesn't

The transmission oil looks clean and what not is it worth a try?

Old 09-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jvenecia94
What's the way to fix the torque converter shudder
The best way to fix torque converter shudder is to change ALL of the fluid and use a good quality MERCON V. Don't just change what's in the pan, you need to also get the fluid out of the torque converter.

If that doesn't fix it you either have an engine miss that feels like torque converter shudder, or the converter has been shuddering long enough that it is damaged and must be replaced.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I'd skip the miracle in a tube if I were you. It's a friction modifier meaning it allows the clutchs to slip more. That's their idea of a fix for clutch shudder. The real fix is changing the old fluid out with new. Assuming you have no codes or CEL, I'd find a shop that will do a power flush on your transmission using a high mileage ATF. You may end up having to buy the fluid yourself and having it done. I believe it takes 14 qts for a change. Are you taking a chance of having leaks later? Yes, but it might also not leak. It's not something you can guess about over the internet. There are other products out there that can cure leaky seals if it happens. You might also find that you'll have to do the flush again in a few months.
I wouldn't discount that it's not a miss in the engine. Your description of the issue is right on with an engine miss for these engines. There have been a lot of folks chase what feels like transmission shudder only to be bad wires or coils. It won't always set a CEL. If the wires and coils have never been changed, they're past due. And you might as well change the plugs while you're at it. Use only Motorcraft parts too. These engines are REAL finicky about the parts used on them.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2...motorcraft parts because of finicky engines.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI, your torque converter should have a drain plug on it, meaning you can easily drain nearly all of the fluid in there.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Ok i figured it'd be worth a shot to replace all the spark plugs and cops to see if it would solve the problem and it in fact solve the problem. I had replaced all the cops except the one in the back which was still the original cop and replacing it fixed the problem. I guess I learned something here. Thanks for the help

Old 10-02-2014, 07:50 AM
Regardless, you should regularly change the transmission fluid. Even an annual pan drop partial change will be of great benefit.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:55 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Do not get a power flush - get a complete exchange only if the TC doesn't have a drain plug. An exchange is done with a flush machine, but in the passive mode where the truck is running and the tranny pump does the work - use NO chemicals.

Quick Reply: Should I change transmission fluid