Transmission issue??

Old 07-29-2014, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission issue??

Changed the filter and fluid on Sunday, and before that everyhting as fine shifted fine, took off from a stop great. Today(Tuesday) driving to work everyhthing was fine(and everything has been fine until today), I was making the last turn into work and after slowing for turn went to acclerate and the truck didi not really want to go, reved her up a bit and she took off, slowed back down same issue? Reverse is fine, is it possible to have to much fluid i there? I draind the pan and torque convertor and replaced all that with 12 quarts?

2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 5.4 4r70w transmission

Any hell will be appreciated, have alot of mountain driving to do soon.

Thanks, Marty

Old 07-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Most likely the fluid level isn't right. After warming up the trans by driving at least 10 miles park it on a level surface and leave the engine running with the trans in park. Check the transmission fluid level. Is it too high or too low? Either one will cause problems.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:32 AM
Mark, I checked the fluid after the truck had been sitting for a little over an hour and on the dipstick it was above the hot markings and into the do not add area of the dipstick?

Old 07-29-2014, 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor
Time to get the excess fluid out.

-Steve

Old 07-29-2014, 05:44 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 2001SuperCrew4x
Mark, I checked the fluid after the truck had been sitting for a little over an hour and on the dipstick it was above the hot markings and into the do not add area of the dipstick?
That means nothing. Your fluid level is high, just right, or low. That's all you can tell after the truck has been sitting for an hour. Either leave it alone, remove fluid, or add fluid.

Go back and read my post above to see how you need to check the fluid if you really want to know if it is right or not.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:07 PM
Well it must be low....drove around the yard here at work for 10 minuted pulled into shop and nothing on the dipstick. Guess a stupid question why a "full" level when cold and empty when hot?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Well I added a quart and a drove around again sit low....added another driver around got better but not great...but it's to to.the upper do.not add Mark.....it's also not real.clean anymore....should I just start over with all new fluid.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:40 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by 2001SuperCrew4x
It will always read high when you do it the wrong way (engine off). Follow the procedure Mark gave to check the fluid.

If the engine isn't running the pump, the fluid basically drains back into the pan instead of being in all the places in the transmission where it's supposed to be causing it to read "High" on the dipstick. The fluid both has to be up to temperature (thermal expansion) and it must be pumping to get an accurate level reading.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission issue??