transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission swap

Will a 4R70W out of a 2001 F150 with a 5.4 slip right in to my 1997 F150 with a 4.6. Both trucks are 4WD

Old 07-19-2014, 11:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep same transmission, but I would recommend you reuse the internal transmission harness and valve body from the 97 truck.

you have to remove the valve body to swap the harnesses.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by mitymerc
Yep same transmission, but I would recommend you reuse the internal transmission harness and valve body from the 97 truck.

you have to remove the valve body to swap the harnesses.
Ok maybe you can answer this. I left the house one morning, normally after a few miles the tranny warms up and you notice the tach drop about 300 rpm or so, my ranger does the same thing, anyhow one morning i noticed that the rpm never dropped off, after bout 20 miles i assume i must have blown the front seal because tranny fluid came pouring out of the inspection plate on the bell housing, any reason this would happen. and to be clear it only runs out while the truck is running.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:51 PM
so you have already done the swap?

yes, the front seal can blow out. make sure you use Napa Seal 1-6455. This seal has a special rubber lip that prevents the seal from blowing out of the front pump cover.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:56 PM
so you have already done the swap?

yes, the front seal can blow out. make sure you use Napa Seal 1-6455. This seal has a special rubber lip that prevents the seal from blowing out of the front pump cover.
my apologies, no i have not done the swap yet, that is what happened to my old transmission and the reason i am considering the swap, but maybe it is a minor fix?? i assume the seal blew out due to internal pressure but not sure what caused the internal pressure, transmission still seems to work fine when you put more fluid in it, but of course with the front seal out you cant keep fluid in it. Maybe you have an idea of what would have caused that?

Old 07-20-2014, 05:10 PM
You can try to install a new seal, but its a lot of work, since the transmission has to be unbolted from the engine, slide the transmission back on the jack to get enough room to remove the torque converter, then drive a new seal in.

I have done this several times on cars, but not on a truck... the way the exhaust is configured, you may not have enough room, It might work if you remove the T/case.

Last edited by mitymerc; 07-20-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 PM
You can try to install a new seal, but its a lot of work, since the transmission has to be unbolted from the engine, slide the transmission back on the jack to get enough room to remove the torque converter, then drive a new seal in.

I have done this several times on cars, but not on a truck... the way the exhaust is configured, you may not have enough room, It might work if you remove the T/case.
So do you have any pictures to help me with the internal harness and valve body swap

Old 07-24-2014, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by cparbuckle
So do you have any pictures to help me with the internal harness and valve body swap
Lots of pictures here; http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...17#Post1460017

Old 07-31-2014, 11:38 PM
So what happens if I don't swap the internal harness and valve body

Old 08-02-2014, 11:23 AM
The old and new style harness is not pinned the same. if you don't swap the harness and the solenoids the check engine light and/or OD off light will flash at you and the transmission will probably not engage or shift correctly.

If you have the 2 transmissions out, its not a lot of work.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:04 AM
The old and new style harness is not pinned the same. if you don't swap the harness and the solenoids the check engine light and/or OD off light will flash at you and the transmission will probably not engage or shift correctly.

If you have the 2 transmissions out, its not a lot of work.
Ok so since im swapping valve body and harness what is his i keep hearing about a jmod for this trans, is it recommended, where can i find the most accurate info

Old 08-15-2014, 02:09 PM
I think I mis-understood what you are are trying to do and may have given you some wrong information.

Let me clarify;

The transmission case and valve body are different between the 1997 and 2001 year models.

IF you are installing a 2001 transmission in your 1997 truck, DO NOT swap valve bodies as I previously said. Instead you will need to install the shift solenoid, TCC solenoid and soft transmission wire harness from your 1997 transmission to the 2001 transmission. you will have to remove the valve body from the transmission case to remove the wire harness connector from the transmission case.

It is recommended you keep/re-use the EPC solenoid from the 2001 transmission since is has higher pressure capacity. However, you will need to remove the plastic connector on the soft wire harness and zip the connectors on the EPC.

For the Jmod, do this:

hole 2, 4, 5, 9, 11: drill with 7/64" drill bit - If hole 11 is larger than 7/64", drill with 1/8" drill.
on hole 4 & 5 - make sure the holes in the gasket match the hole size drilled - See note 2

Drill hole 6 with 5/32" drill bit (.156")

hole 10 is optional if you want reverse to engage faster - I usually drill to .093"

Ignore holes 1, 3, 7, 8 - they are already drilled to the proper size, don't exist or are not used.

Name:  JMOD1_zpsf5296dc4.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  21.5 KB

Name:  picture25_zps92eabf4f.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  50.6 KB

Last edited by mitymerc; 08-15-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Quick Reply: transmission swap