My 2006 4R75E experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:13 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2006 4R75E experience

I bought my 2006 used with about 20,000 on it.

Only tranny issue was a few years ago it jumped out of gear a few times at low speeds a few times in very cold winter temps. Has not done it the last few years. I don't know why it did it or why it quit. Thank you Jesus.

At 105,000 miles I did plugs and changed all fluids. I did a 17 quart exchange myself on the tranny (Valvoline Mercon V). I cut the outlet line from the cooler and ran about 3-4 quarts at a time into a gallon jug. At about 13-14 quarts it was clear/new. I continued to complete a 17 quart exchange. At the beginning of the process I also pulled the pan to replace the filter and sensor.

For insurance .......... I installed a Microfine inline filter where I had cut the line exit the tranny cooler. I've changed it every 5,000-10,000.

When I changed the microfine at 130,000..... I noticed the fluid appeared dark. Not burnt.... just dark like blueberry or Royal Purple fluid rather than redish Mercon V.

Currently at 131,000 ..... transmission failed. It started jumping gears and acting funning at low speeds etc. and got worse and worse within a week or so.

Took it to a recommended shop. They did a rebuild. Due to something that wore the case internally..... they replaced the case. Total=$2600.

First time in 100,000s of thousands of miles and many vehicles I have ever had to do transmission work. To early to comment good/bad on the rebuild. So far so good.

The shop had called and said tranny was finished but check engine light was on ..... driver side rear O2 sensor. I asked for a quote to replace both rear O2 sensosrs..... $285. I said I'll wait.

This morning I crawled under to unplug and spray/clean the O2 sensor plug (figuring it had been unplugged during the tranny service). I figured spray/clean good and insure plug is tight and it might work. Wrong.......... the fricken O2 sensor is mashed...... obviously from getting the tranny in or out. I also found a vacuum hose on tranny not quite pushed on all the way and no type of retainer/clamp. A few wiring loom attachment points are hanging loose, and, I found fluid on the tail piece of the transfer case.

This is why I do as much service as I can myself. Seems like every time I trust and pay someone to do service on a vehicle, I wind up with more problems than I started with. Worst problem ........ now I have no clue what I have inside my tranny. I keep wanting and trying to trust a mechanic...... I really want to. But it always seems to cost 4-6 times as much or more as you can DIY and then I wind up with more problems.

Oh well ....... at 131,000 its not a bad idea to replace front O2 sensors and I'm going to replace/upgrade the VCT solenoids, change belt, etc. Hot fun!!

I'm also going to have a nice chat with the shop that did my tranny work and wanted to charge me to fix my check engine light/O2 sensor... Hot fun!!

Last edited by duckduke; 06-29-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:56 AM
I had the same problem happen to my front O2 sensor when i had a shop install my headers.. The shop never told me anything but immediately after I left the shop I got a cel. I thought it was just because of the no cats..
Bring it to a shop when down at college (no tools with me there) they said bad front O2. So they replaced it $200. They told me it looked like someone smashed it..
Called up the shop that did my headers and asked them about it. They plain out said "ya we hit it with a hammer to shorten it to fit on the headers and under the truck, but it's fine that wouldn't break it".. I go on a rant saying" well obviously it did and that I want a reimbursement for my $200".. His excuse was that he already gave me a deal in the header install that he felt he didn't need to reimburse me.. The worse part is he gave me a quote for $400 to install my headers and charged me $450., needless to say I never went back there again and refer them to know one

Old 06-29-2014, 11:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That inline filter is a bad idea. It puts a restriction on cooler flow and when it fills with debris its even more of a restriction. the filter most likely burned your transmission up.

On the 2004-2006 F-150s, I find it easiest to remove the front passenger 02 sensor and remove the exhaust heat shield. Doing this prevents damage to the sensor and removing the heat shield gives you more room to remove the cooler lines and dipstick tube from the case.

what you are calling a vacuum hose is most likely the vent line for the transfer case. It goes up to the top of the bell housing and should be attached to a bracket to hold it in place.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by mitymerc
That inline filter is a bad idea. It puts a restriction on cooler flow and when it fills with debris its even more of a restriction. the filter most likely burned your transmission up.
I wondered the same thing. Except I thought I had read where a number of others were doing this and hadn't heard of any problem. I also understood that due to a number of problems that FORD had started installing on F250 diesels and thought I understood they are started coming stock from FORD with the inline filter. Anyway..... I appreciate the note and I am going to be doing some reading to determine if I should remove or not. I'm changing often to minimize potential for any significant restriction.

Originally Posted by mitymerc
what you are calling a vacuum hose is most likely the vent line for the transfer case. It goes up to the top of the bell housing and should be attached to a bracket to hold it in place.
Yes you're right.....my bad. I've just been more disappointed with some of my findings and wasn't thinking. I need to check and see where they have it run to. After finding a few issues........ I will not be surprised where they ran it. A got my truck used with about 20,000 miles and eventually found the vent for the front diff rolled up on top of the front diff. I had to look at another truck to figure out where it was supposed to be. I also found what appeared to be very milky brown diff fluid with some rust inside the cover. Some water obviously found it's way in at some point ........ I do get around water from time to time. I'm sure someone working on something moved the vent line and didn't find a need to reinstall properly.

Thanks for the comments!!!!

Last edited by duckduke; 06-29-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:36 AM

I just checked this AM..... vent appears properly run to the top of the bell housing.

But... in addition to the rear seal leak on the transfer case tail piece noted above..... I also have a small leak on each end of the transmission pan. Hopefully these can be resolved easily.

I mentioned above that they had to replace the case of my transmission. But, I don't know if the pan is old or new. But, I do that the pan is extremely scared and scraped up. It is certainly not a new pan. I may try and snug a couple of bolts on the pan a little. If that doesn't fix the leak I may order a new gasket and pan.

In 131,000 miles I haven't had any fluid leaks...... now I have 3 just on the transmission and transfer case.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:44 PM

Currrently at 167,000 ........ for about a week I had been noticing bad slipping at 2nd gear...... sometimes it seemed like it totally missed 2nd and went to 3rd gear. After about a week, "TRANSMISSION MALFUNCTION" notification showed up and the OD light was blinking on and of. Went and got it scanned ... P0732.

Checked fluid, fine.
Took it to a 'real' transmission shop. They say 2nd gear is toast. Only way to repair is pull and service/rebuild transmission. They are going to do a few upgrades/improvements, etc.

So............. I think my first rebuild was done by total goons. It only lasted 36,000 miles.

Pretty disgusted here. After getting past the plug change issues and keeping everything well maintained, I'm now having to do a 2nd transmission rebuild at 167,000. SUUUUXXXX

Old 06-01-2016, 06:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by duckduke
Currrently at 167,000 ........ for about a week I had been noticing bad slipping at 2nd gear...... sometimes it seemed like it totally missed 2nd and went to 3rd gear. After about a week, "TRANSMISSION MALFUNCTION" notification showed up and the OD light was blinking on and of. Went and got it scanned ... P0732.
thats a generic code for Second gear incorrect ratio, which basically means the PCM is commanding gear change from 1st to 2nd and it did not detect the correct RPM drop.

its very rare 2nd gear fails on this transmission. I would check other things before committing to a full rebuild. could be a mechanically failed shift solenoid, stuck shift valve or a broken 1-2 accumulator spring.

Quick Reply: My 2006 4R75E experience