2nd Rebuild in 20'000km

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Rebuild in 20'000km

Hi all,

I'm needing a rebuild on the forward clutch plates on my 2004 FX4 5.4. The truck is at 160'000km and was previously rebuilt at 140K.. I have 2 questions here:
#1- Is there a better rebuild kit than the motorcraft one? And where's a good place to buy from. The previous rebuild was all motorcraft parts and done by a ford tech. All the plates, OD brand etc was changed and We flushed everything used motorcraft everything. The torque converter wasn't changed.

#2- What's causing my clutch plates to get smoked in 20'000k?
I've got an Edge programmer and 33" BFG A/T tires. I run the 87 economy tune and occasionally the tow tune. I would hope the truck could handle the slightly taller tires however I'm starting to wonder about the Edge programmer.
As far as my driving habits go the most I've towed with the truck is 2 snowmobiles on a light trailer and occasionally an ATV. I pulled a 23' boat once about 40k. I've had it in some mud maybe 3 times each time in 4x4 Low and I never rock between forward and reverse. It's very disappointing that an "off road" truck package couldn't handle that.

I'm going to change my torque converter this time so if anyone has some suggestions maybe going to a mid stall etc I'd appreciate that as well.

Many thanks

Quick Reply: 2nd Rebuild in 20'000km