2013 eco rear end shake with trailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 eco rear end shake with trailer

I can't really explain this so bare with me.... yesterday I was pulling a trailer full of rock right up to the weight limit of the truck's rating. I have the 3.31 geared ecoboost. I had 4 tons of rock in a dump trailer, and I know I was right to the max of my tow rating.

it pulled it beautifully! Had tons of power left to hold highway speeds, but when I would start out from a stoplight under "normal" acceleration i felt what seemed to be a rear end shake, it was noticable in the cab, and there was a sound almost like jumping a tooth on a gear. Again I know I am not describing this totally accurate...but even my passenger was going "what was that?" to which I said I have no idea.

does anybody know what I am describing? Is this normal? This doesn't happen when I am accelerating empty/no trailer, and when I have a small cargo trailer it doesn't happen either.

just wondering if this is something I should be concerned about or not. I have a 1000 mile trip coming up in June with a moderately heavy trailer and don't want any un-expected issues with tranny/rear end.

thanks,

Old 05-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KingJR
I can't really explain this so bare with me.... yesterday I was pulling a trailer full of rock right up to the weight limit of the truck's rating. I have the 3.31 geared ecoboost. I had 4 tons of rock in a dump trailer, and I know I was right to the max of my tow rating.

it pulled it beautifully! Had tons of power left to hold highway speeds, but when I would start out from a stoplight under "normal" acceleration i felt what seemed to be a rear end shake, it was noticable in the cab, and there was a sound almost like jumping a tooth on a gear. Again I know I am not describing this totally accurate...but even my passenger was going "what was that?" to which I said I have no idea.

does anybody know what I am describing? Is this normal? This doesn't happen when I am accelerating empty/no trailer, and when I have a small cargo trailer it doesn't happen either.

just wondering if this is something I should be concerned about or not. I have a 1000 mile trip coming up in June with a moderately heavy trailer and don't want any un-expected issues with tranny/rear end.

thanks,
KingJR,

It is hard to say for sure whether this is normal or not without seeing it. If you're concerned, it wouldn't hurt to load up your trailer and swing by the dealer to have them take a look. If you decide to do that, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

Old 05-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: 2013 eco rear end shake with trailer