No 3rd or OD 4R70W

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No 3rd or OD 4R70W

So I have 99 F150 4.6L 4x4 XLT which runs fine with the exception that the trans will not shift into 3. With O.D. on and accelerating 1-2 is fine, then never even tries to shift to 3rd. If I let off the gas, it will free wheel, think it's going right to O.D. Then if I turn O.D. off and accelerate from a stop it will shift fine 1-2, and just stay in 2nd. if I let off gas RPM's drop to like 1200 at 50, then revs back up to continue in second. If I shift to 2nd manually and let off I have engine braking until I put it back into drive. So my question is this, can this be the shift solenoids? Here is what I know and have done to fix:
2-3 accumulator piston and spring replaced, original not broke, but changed anyway,OD plunger retainer is fine, not broke,fluid changed new filter. normal fuzzes were on magnet, not major metal. No codes on Scanner

If clutches were bad, wouldn't it try to go to 3rd and slip?
Any help would be appreciated. looking for technical responses, not the simple get a new trans response.

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2014, 02:48 PM
4r70w

you can take it to any AAMCO transmission shop and they will tell you what's wrong with it for free

Old 05-24-2014, 04:23 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I wouldn't count on that, they will probably just tell you that you need a rebuilt transmission whether you do or not.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:13 PM
ever figure this out?

Old 11-01-2014, 06:20 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I doubt you will ever find out, that's this person's first and only post.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
glc is right. That one is gone.

blkstng96, are you having a similar issue or just being curious?

Old 11-02-2014, 09:43 AM
MLD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"No codes on scanner." Is it an OBD scanner or one for trans codes? It wont show on a generic scanner. I have a tuner that will show the trans codes but my OBII will not spread out to other things.

I sounds like a shift solenoid.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Yea same issue.mines an 06 though but more or less same trans no? The trans went from no issues to now no 3rd or 4th in a week. Very little driving mileage wise

Old 11-03-2014, 08:21 AM
The more specific here that you can be, the more likely we can help diagnose it without someone having to tear into it.

Did this happen suddenly and without any warning or noise? Or, was there something that you can remember happenine which might have caused it or were there any associated warnings or noises when it happened?

I have repaired, rebuilt and built literally hundreds of these transmissions from daily driving to full performance applications. There are only a few things that could have happened here and maybe we can figure out where you are before you have to have work done.

Last edited by Darrin Burch; 11-03-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:12 PM
SFM
I just had a similar thing happen '07 5.4 fx4. I was driving along about 40, truck went to shift up and started to just free rev, would not shift. I stopped, got out and checked out underneath, all appeared fine. I get back in truck shifts from first to second but when it goes into third it just free revs the engine. If I pull the selector into second it goes into second, when I return it to drive motor just revs.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Ok, so lets say that it is actually not making a shift into third, but its staying in second until it decides to go to OD. When it goes to OD it instead goes to 1st on an open converter. This could be mistaken as a free rev.

To hope for the best you REALLY don't want it making the shift into 3rd and going neutral. That is bad news. Best case scenario is for the 2nd shift solenoid to have failed. That will allow a 1-2 shift, no 2-3 shift and then potentially a shift back to first when the first shift solenoid comes back in.

For a neutral in 3rd you gots troubles. Troubles that I have a hard time reconciling because I can't figure out what would disconnect the forward clutch when you go to 3rd. The difference between 2nd and 3rd gear is the application of the direct clutch. This causes the planetary to spin at input shaft speed. If the direct clutch doesn't apply or even if it does apply and has become mechanically disconnected from the input shaft, the same components that are applied for 2nd gear are still applied. Thus 2nd gear instead of 3rd.

Now when the call for OD is made and the direct clutch does not apply because of an electrical, hydraulic or mechanical failure you will get 1st gear again instead of OD.

I've been a car that has done this and it really feels like it went neutral. As a matter of fact, if I didn't know better then I would have sworn that it went neutral.

Not saying that it isn't an internal problem because there are several that could cause this, but I would start with a shift solenoid, accumulator or valve body as being the culprit. That's a pan drop instead of a transmission drop.

And, it's a good time and perfect excuse to do a valve body upgrade.

D

Old 11-08-2014, 04:07 PM
SFM
Wanted to update now that I have had it fixed. Direct clutch drum broke. Center of it ripped out making it a 2 piece! Forgive me if I am not using the proper terminology for the part, but ended up getting the entire tranny rebuilt. Glad I have a good hookup that got me a really really great price.

Appreciate the input on possible issues. Wish it would have been something simple ,but at least I got it fixed and back up in 2 days.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:13 PM
well my issues exatly the same as SFM so it looks like bad news for me. what kinda cost in parts was this? I plan to pull mine and I have a relative with a trans shop.just trying to get an idea of damages here. also im going to buy a new convertor.any suggestions from anyone? same with valve body if I decide to grab one? im not an auto guy.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:39 AM
SFM
Old 04-07-2020, 10:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
Ok, so lets say that it is actually not making a shift into third, but its staying in second until it decides to go to OD. When it goes to OD it instead goes to 1st on an open converter. This could be mistaken as a free rev.

To hope for the best you REALLY don't want it making the shift into 3rd and going neutral. That is bad news. Best case scenario is for the 2nd shift solenoid to have failed. That will allow a 1-2 shift, no 2-3 shift and then potentially a shift back to first when the first shift solenoid comes back in.

For a neutral in 3rd you gots troubles. Troubles that I have a hard time reconciling because I can't figure out what would disconnect the forward clutch when you go to 3rd. The difference between 2nd and 3rd gear is the application of the direct clutch. This causes the planetary to spin at input shaft speed. If the direct clutch doesn't apply or even if it does apply and has become mechanically disconnected from the input shaft, the same components that are applied for 2nd gear are still applied. Thus 2nd gear instead of 3rd.

Now when the call for OD is made and the direct clutch does not apply because of an electrical, hydraulic or mechanical failure you will get 1st gear again instead of OD.

I've been a car that has done this and it really feels like it went neutral. As a matter of fact, if I didn't know better then I would have sworn that it went neutral.

Not saying that it isn't an internal problem because there are several that could cause this, but I would start with a shift solenoid, accumulator or valve body as being the culprit. That's a pan drop instead of a transmission drop.

And, it's a good time and perfect excuse to do a valve body upgrade.

D
same issue after full rebuild replaced forward and direct drum and have been in the trans twice appears neutrals on shift to 3rd any help please

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: No 3rd or OD 4R70W