'08 F-150 XL 5-Speed Clutch/Tran Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 F-150 XL 5-Speed Clutch/Tran Problem

I had my clutch replaced at 77K. The shop that did it did not put in a full kit, i.e. they did not replace the slave cylinder. A few thousand miles later, the slave cylinder went out. I took it to another shop that I believe to be a good shop and they replaced the slave cylinder and the other items of the kit. The first shop did resurface the flywheel. I am now at 105K miles, and fairly frequently, the truck will not go into gear from a stop. If you rev the engine, and let it go back to idle, it will sometimes go into gear. Otherwise, I have to kill the engine to get it into gear. The clutch pressure feels good. Sometimes, it is worse if the truck is on an incline. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I would start off by bleeding the system and looking for leaks. The symptoms sound like the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Does it grab really high on the pedal or down low?

Old 03-30-2014, 09:35 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
I suspect a sticky pilot bearing if bleeding it doesn't help.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It works great most of the time. I will try bleeding the system. It seems to grab high to middle. If it is a sticky pilot bearing, does the transmission have to be pulled? I appreciate the help.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by henrysford
It works great most of the time. I will try bleeding the system. It seems to grab high to middle. If it is a sticky pilot bearing, does the transmission have to be pulled? I appreciate the help.
No you don't have to pull the transmission. You can pull the engine.

Sorry, yes. The engine and transmission must be separated to access the pilot bearing/bushing.

Lets hope the bleed helps. Good luck!

Quick Reply: '08 F-150 XL 5-Speed Clutch/Tran Problem