1995 F150 Clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 F150 Clutch replacement

Hey guys,

I've got a 1995 F150xlt 5.0L 4x4 and I need to replace the clutch. I've never done a clutch on a truck before, only on a few small cars like toyotas, so any advice you have would be much appreciated. I do have access to ShopKey and AllData where it says it's a 12 hour job... not sure about that but I sure hope not. And I also know that I need to pull the tranny as well. I've also heard that it's good to replace my rear main seal at the same time... thoughts? One of my coworkers told me to buy the Luk brand clutch, but from what I can see online they don't sell the whole clutch kit. I also read on some of the other forums that it's worth it to buy/rent an alignment tool. Please give me tips or advice on anything before I tear into this beast of a project! Thanks!

Old 02-28-2014, 01:48 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
I believe Luk is the OEM supplier. Replace the rear main seal, pilot bearing, pressure plate, disk, throwout bearing, andslave cylinder. You WILL need an alignment tool. When you pull the flywheel to replace the rear main seal, either send it out to be bench ground or replace it.

Looks like the Luk kits on rockauto.com come with pilot bearing, pressure plate, disk, throwout bearing, and an alignment tool. Then all you need is a slave cylinder and rear main seal.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would count on it being a 12 hour job for one person. I would get a Haynes repair manual that covers your model truck and read through the procedure. You will need a transmission jack and a good selection of metric and SAE hand tools. Personally I would buy the clutch kit from Ford, probably a decent price and it atleast used to contain a plastic alignment tool. Yes, an alignment tool is a must. Whatever you do, don't use a parts store slave cylinder, genuine Ford only on the slave cylinder. I should also mention you will need the ability to raise and lower the transfer case from the back of the transmission, about 75 pounds, it's best just to manhandle it.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks you guys! Luckily I've got a friend helping me, and I've also got all my tools and jacks. I'll be sure to pick up a manual beforehand. Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: 1995 F150 Clutch replacement