Odd issue 2004 150

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd issue 2004 150

It started last week, I would stop and it felt like my transmission would disengage, let off the brake and the truck wouldn't roll. I hit the gas and the transmission would jam into gear. In reverse the truck would jolt down a driveway. I had the pan dropped and fluid changed, no metal in the pan. I added a bottle of Lucas transmission fix and other than a rough idle (plugs and cop need to be changed I believe.) it shifts fine, all gears are there no slipping. Now from park to reverse the transmission clunks. Only does it from park to reverse, drive to reverse there is no clunk, park to drive fine and park to 1st and 2nd fine.

I also just started noticing a noise while only in park coming from the transmission, best I can describe it as a deep whining noise.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
There has been discussions on this site about little plastic ***** in the valve body melting. Maybe that is the issue. But I know very little about transmissions myself.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hedgehogforprez
It started last week, I would stop and it felt like my transmission would disengage, let off the brake and the truck wouldn't roll. I hit the gas and the transmission would jam into gear. In reverse the truck would jolt down a driveway. I had the pan dropped and fluid changed, no metal in the pan. I added a bottle of Lucas transmission fix and other than a rough idle (plugs and cop need to be changed I believe.) it shifts fine, all gears are there no slipping. Now from park to reverse the transmission clunks. Only does it from park to reverse, drive to reverse there is no clunk, park to drive fine and park to 1st and 2nd fine.

I also just started noticing a noise while only in park coming from the transmission, best I can describe it as a deep whining noise.
Hi.

A couple things.

First - stop using trans (or engine) additives. No such thing as a wrench/fix in a can. You are not improving matters and just wasting yer $$$.

Second - you may have trans codes pending - I'd get those pulled ( Autozone . etc cannot do it - you need a scanner that can access trans codes.

Whining? Torque converter perhaps? When the last time a FULL fluid exchange was done ( not just a measly 5 qt pan drop - I mean all ~18 quarts.). Did you check trans fluid level properly as specified in the owner's guide?

Lastly - yer tranny could very well be headed south fer the winter. Hope fer the best, plan for the worst.

We have a few fantastically gifted trans experts on here - hopefully one or more of them will chime in. Great fellers, too. I'm just a padawan - I'd defer to whatever they suggest you do, okay?

Very best of luck!

MGD

Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi.

A couple things.

First - stop using trans (or engine) additives. No such thing as a wrench/fix in a can. You are not improving matters and just wasting yer $$$.

Second - you may have trans codes pending - I'd get those pulled ( Autozone . etc cannot do it - you need a scanner that can access trans codes.

Whining? Torque converter perhaps? When the last time a FULL fluid exchange was done ( not just a measly 5 qt pan drop - I mean all ~18 quarts.). Did you check trans fluid level properly as specified in the owner's guide?

Lastly - yer tranny could very well be headed south fer the winter. Hope fer the best, plan for the worst.

We have a few fantastically gifted trans experts on here - hopefully one or more of them will chime in. Great fellers, too.

Good luck

MGD

Would a light come on the dash? I've always had a check engine light but it always had something to do with the cai. Just recently the light cleared by itself.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hedgehogforprez
Would a light come on the dash? I've always had a check engine light but it always had something to do with the cai. Just recently the light cleared by itself.
Hi.

Yes.

Advise that you find and correct the root cause of any pre-existing condition that illuminates yer CEL - as you are masking a crucial diagnostic indicator.

Perhaps invest in a diag scanner for yer toolbox?

( OT side note - if you have a '04 5.4 3V, and an aftermarket CAI/WAI/Washoobi), running same without proper tuning correction may cause you some grief - just sayin' ... it's been discussed on thee forums for years.

good luck

MGD

Old 03-24-2014, 05:32 PM
Well, Saturday was fun. Got some sand in my truck, made it about a block down the road and my drive shaft snapped, broke the tail housing on the transmission and where the output shaft comes out of the transmission a good chunk of metal popped off.

My only question now, with a one piece drive shaft, should it have a hanger on it?? There is a hanger bracket above the drive shaft that looks like it's been rubbing for a while when I have weight on it. Should that bracket come off if there is no hanger??

Old 03-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Name:  E292EBBA-C0A9-476E-BF0E-1B99165F9442.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  119.3 KB

Name:  49406ED8-B522-41CD-80F9-D80BD9D1E919.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  85.0 KB

First is where the transmission cracked and second is a picture of that hanger bracket, I don't know why it would be there if there is no hanger for it.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Wow! That doesn't happen often! Now you know what you need to do to fix it.

Quick Reply: Odd issue 2004 150