Truck having hard time going into drive after hitch collision

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck having hard time going into drive after hitch collision

About three weeks ago I was backing out of a parking spot when this car came out of nowhere(doing at least 40 in the parking lot with a dodge avenger) and slammed into my rear end from the passenger side while in reverse. I put my truck into drive and park it and turn it off. I get out thinking my truck is gonna be screwed only to see that he hit the hitch and my hitch is bent over about 6" and I get under to see the hitch mounts bent over as well... his car did not fair so well and was pretty messed up.

My truck was driving fine all day after that so I figured 'oh well nothing wrong'. The next day a snow storm hit the carolinas(jan 28th-30th or whatever). I drove my truck on the 29th for a beer run... did a few donuts in a open parking lot because it was black ice and kept driving like nothing. The next day I drove to Fl, about 890 miles, truck drove fine. While I was in florida I noticed it was having trouble getting into gear(about a full second hesitation from reverse to drive) I reprogrammed it and it was fine. It then started slamming into gear when I went to accelerate quicker than usual(passing cars, getting onto the highway).

I made it back to NC and now my truck is having a really hard time getting into drive. It'll go into reverse just fine and then I put it into drive it'll slowly roll forward but it will not engage into drive for a long time(10-20 seconds, sometimes longer) I had the tranny oil and filter changed today and that didn't help. Once it's in drive it'll drive fine but it will slam into gears once I accelerate quick. Any suggestions? Insurance will cover it but I'm moving from NC in less than a week.

TLDR: Hitch got hit from side while reversing and now the truck takes 10-20 seconds to put into drive and reverse gear works fine.

Edit: Also my theft light sometimes goes off rapidly when I initially get into the truck and start driving, don't know if that's related.

Last edited by CManHugh; 02-17-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update- Truck only goes into drive at about 2,000 RPMs so it slams into gear, sometimes when coming to a complete stop it does the same thing. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Truck having hard time going into drive after hitch collision