Kicking Trans - Neutral Safety or Dirty Fliud?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kicking Trans - Neutral Safety or Dirty Fliud?

My transmission kicks/shudders between 3rd and 4th up shifting and downshifting about 99% of the time. The Tach isn't jumping so I don't think it's slipping. I've done a lot of research and I thought I had it narrowed down to the Neutral Safety/MLP Sensor. However I searched around a bit again today and found an article Here referencing the trans having this issue with dirty fluid. Any thoughts?

If it does need a trans flush, I've heard that a flush can do more damage than good sometimes, The truck has 215k Miles on it, should i be concerned with doing a flush?

---This is my first post, I've been lurking for a couple weeks and you all are awesome. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Last edited by Nakama; 02-11-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
are you sure its not a misfire?

Old 02-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
are you sure its not a misfire?
Hadn't thought of that as a possibility. A misfire wouldn't happen specifically when the trans is shifting from 3 to 4 or 4 to 3, would it? If that is a possibilty, how would I daignose it?

Old 02-11-2014, 11:04 PM
I should specify that at best it's a shudder, at worst it feels like I've driven over a giant pot hole

Old 02-11-2014, 11:16 PM
Global Moderator &

you'd feel it mostly in 3rd or 4th. Most people would describe it as a bucking sensation. Like forward backword bump if that makes sense.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Patman
you'd feel it mostly in 3rd or 4th. Most people would describe it as a bucking sensation. Like forward backword bump if that makes sense.
No its not like that, it feels as though my transmission is gonna drop, a very distinct thunk goes with it, it's definitely only at the exact time it shifts.
there also isnt a loss of power or anything either

Old 02-12-2014, 01:36 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
You don't need to flush the tranny to get a complete fluid exchange, the 2000 still has a torque converter drain plug. That and a pan drop will get all but about a quart out. The tranny holds 14 quarts total, 5 in the pan and the rest in the TC and valve body and cooler.

A low grade misfire will be most pronounced right after a light throttle shift into OD and the TC locks up - give it just a bit more gas and it will misfire. This happens when you need new spark plugs and/or the coils (if you have COP) are getting weak. It doesn't happen as often with the old coil pack/plug wire system but it's still quite possible.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:36 PM
OK, so now I've gone from 100% to 80% that it's the trans. My head is spinning now. When in 4th gear I can throttle and it doesn't kick until I give it enough to downshift or if I keep the throttle the same and it downshifts to get up a hill. would this rule out miss fire?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:08 PM
glc
Hmm - let me ask you this - how many miles are on your spark plugs? Do you have COP or coil packs and wires?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Hmm - let me ask you this - how many miles are on your spark plugs? Do you have COP or coil packs and wires?
I just got the Truck so I'm not sure how many miles the plugs have on it. It has COP

Old 02-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Global Moderator &

Park/neutral switch is only used for engine cranking safety.

its possible you have a bad accumulator spring. Any way you could run the truck by a trans shop and have them drive it without digging deep into the trans and see what they think?

Old 03-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Sorry for the crazy delay, I moved and didn't have internet for a while...
Ok so I took my truck to The Big Double A transmission shop. They said it wasn't throwing any codes but they think the EPC selonoid is the problem (Btw they only felt the hard kick, not the shudder).. I thought the price was high so i called another shop. they said the problem I was describing was most likely a torque converter shudder, and I would probably need a rebuild of the trans. I researched the heck out of low grade misfires and that seems like a possibility also. I can't throw money at this aimlessly , what are ya'lls thoughts.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Can't seem to edit... Thanks to all those who pointed out low grade missfire, I had never even heard of such a thing until you all mentioned it.

How would I diagnose that. The check light came on a couple weeks ago (system too lean, both banks.) I found a vacuum leak and repaired it, reset the check light and it hasn't come on since.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:15 PM
glc
Change your spark plugs. Use Motorcraft, no antiseize, torque to 28 ft/lb. Use a small amount of dielectric grease in the COP boots, not on the springs or contacts. That's going to cost you less than 40 bucks if you do the work yourself.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Change your spark plugs. Use Motorcraft, no antiseize, torque to 28 ft/lb. Use a small amount of dielectric grease in the COP boots, not on the springs or contacts. That's going to cost you less than 40 bucks if you do the work yourself.
I'll give that a shot, thanks!
..is there a way to determin if the ignition coils are functioning properly ? AZ wants $56 a piece for them.

Quick Reply: Kicking Trans - Neutral Safety or Dirty Fliud?