o/d light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
o/d light flashing

Maybe I shouldn't complain about 175k out of a trans, but it's been well cared for and never towed anything.
However, tonight I noticed the o/d off light started flashing. For the past few weeks, the shift indicator has not been lining up right, and one night I pulled the lever into drive, and it felt like it didn't drop in all the way, like the detent or whatever didn't end up in drive fully. The truck barely moved like the trans was slipping. Then, I pulled the lever into 1, back up to D, and it lined up and engaged properly.
Now, several hundred miles later, the o/d off light flashes and trans is no longer in o/d. I shut the truck off and it reset.
I really need to drive it tomorrow, anyone know if the trans is the issue? Just can't afford to get stranded, working on a job where I'm relied on and also can't replace the truck at this time either.
Thanks for any help.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:28 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
If the O/D light was flashing, a fault was detected and you need to get it scanned. The free scans at the parts stores can't read Ford tranny codes so you will have to take it to a shop.

You probably have loose bolts in the steering column, this is what causes slop in the lever.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:07 PM
Hey glc, you got it right! I found an article about the loose bolts, so went out and wiggled the shift lever while watching the bracket. Sure enough, sloppy. The bolts were very loose. Tightened them up snug for now (it's cold) so will do threadlock later, but made it tight like new.
Thanks.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:40 PM
Where did you find the article about this?

Old 05-22-2014, 10:25 PM
overdrive light flashing

same thing happened to my Ford F 150 took it to the transmission shop they said need complete rebuild still ran and shift no slipping they said it needed a complete rebuild that the light flashing was a limp home mode

Old 05-23-2014, 07:18 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
They were lying to you. The flashing OD light means a code is stored. Without reading the codes they don't know why the light is flashing. It could be something very simple, or it could mean a rebuild.

A damaged wire outside the trans can make it flash. So can a bad speed sensor in the rear axle. Neither requires a trans rebuild to fix it.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:24 PM
overdrive light flashing

Got you hopefully I didn't get screwed

Quick Reply: o/d light flashing