2010 F150 how to add Transmission Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 F150 how to add Transmission Oil?

I have a 4.6 2010 XLT that needs some transmission fluid. I will take it to the dealership to fix the leak, but I work tomorrow and i'm going out of town after work so I can't take it just yet. I just need some transmission fluid in the mean time.
How do I add transmission fluid?
My truck has the transmission dipstick in the bottom right next to the exhaust.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:51 PM
You have to add it through that dipstick hole on the bottom. We have a tool at our shop (not sure what it's called) it's kind of like a hand powered pump with a hose on the end. You pull back on the handle to draw the fluid in and then you push forward on the handle after you stick the end of the hose in the dipstick hole to push the fluid out of the canister into the hole. It's a real PITA.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:34 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Old 01-31-2014, 12:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't you use some type of transfer pump?

Old 01-31-2014, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to see an aftermarket REAL dipstick and tube kit for these. This setup is real crap. Ford made this no-service set-up to help dealers make more money. We are slowly seeing vehicles more and more built like this. Follow the money.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:50 AM
I added some fluid using 2 long funnels and it was a real pain. That dipstick situation is a real joke. I have already scheduled a service appointment at the dealership. Ill let them mess with it since the truck is still under warranty.
I was also thinking about using the hand pump to add some fluid, but the 2 funnel system kinda worked lol
Thanks guys for your help
Ill keep you posted on what happens after the dealership takes a look with it.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Took it in and they couldn't really diagnose anything without a legitimate problem. I told them about a clicking noise the A/C console was doing each time I turned on the truck. They told me it was a "blend door actuator" and they were able to fix it, so it wasn't a total waste of time. I also had a "check engine" light on showing that the O2 oxygen sensor was out. It just appeared for about half a day and then it didn't show up again. At the dealership they checked and they couldn't do anything about it because it didn't show that it was malfunctioning at the moment.
All in all it was a good experience considering that I wasn't cheap and went ahead and got an extended warranty that covered the problem (blend door actuator) and I only paid my deductible $50 pretty bad ***.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:34 PM
The picture glc posted is like what we have at the shop I work at.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
I would like to see an aftermarket REAL dipstick and tube kit for these. This setup is real crap. Ford made this no-service set-up to help dealers make more money. We are slowly seeing vehicles more and more built like this. Follow the money.
Same reason pretty much all new cars and light trucks are made with "lifetime lubricated" steering and suspension components... In one way it's a rip off for the consumer, in another, for those not likely to actually take care of their vehicles, it kind of makes sense...

Old 02-18-2014, 02:34 AM
I just purchased one of these for that exact reason! No vehicle that is ment to tow should come from the factory without a way to check the trans fluid.

http://www.performanceautomatic.com/...trans-pan.html

Old 02-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flotownj
I just purchased one of these for that exact reason! No vehicle that is ment to tow should come from the factory without a way to check the trans fluid.

http://www.performanceautomatic.com/...trans-pan.html
Your link goes to the deep oil pan. However, I did a little looking around and saw what looks like a dipstick and tube for our trucks. Holy crap, they are $244.00 for a dipstick and tube. Also, it looks as tough it will only work with the deep pan. So, $500.00 to check the oil.........

Last edited by aussiekeeper; 02-18-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:28 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
So, $500.00 to check the oil.........
Or climb under the truck with a wrench. Lot cheaper.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Or do it with one of these:

It's a FloTool Multi Purpose Spout... I've got like 3 of these... it's an indispensable tool for anything fluid related.

You can just squeeze the bottle, and it will act like pump... without the expense of one of those fangled pumps.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:17 AM
Your link goes to the deep oil pan. However, I did a little looking around and saw what looks like a dipstick and tube for our trucks. Holy crap, they are $244.00 for a dipstick and tube. Also, it looks as tough it will only work with the deep pan. So, $500.00 to check the oil.........

I thought that too until I called.. Thats the list price, I got the pan with filler tube/dipstick for less then $300

Old 04-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Thanks guys for all the suggestions, sorry for the late reply, but it was just some loose screws that I took care of a while ago. The previous owner might've messed with the oil pan and didn't tighten all the screws up. I tightened the loose screws and cleaned the bottom part of the pan with some brake cleaner and its been 4 weeks and no leaks

Quick Reply: 2010 F150 how to add Transmission Oil?