TOB or Input shaft bearing BAD? Need help diagnosing issue.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOB or Input shaft bearing BAD? Need help diagnosing issue.

I Just purchased a truck for my brothers 16th Bday. 2003 F150 XL 2WD 4.6 Triton. 5 speed manual

The previously owner just had the master cylinder, slave cylinder and clutch replaced by a friend. He gave me the receipts.

The issue is there is a loud "chattering" coming from trans area. While in neutral it's loud when u press's down on the clutch pedal the noise goes away.

Have searched your forums and found them helpful in narrowing down the issue. Some say throw out bearing some say The input shaft bearing while others suggest pressure plate need resurfaced. (Do not know if it was resurfaced when clutch was replaced)

Any questions will be answered immediately. Thanks for the help in Advance guys.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:53 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
You don't resurface a pressure plate, you replace it. It's the flywheel that should be resurfaced.

Please list exactly what the receipt says was replaced, including part numbers if available.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:48 PM
I see. So the flywheel should have been resurfaced. I'm going to take some stuff apart to get a better idea of what's going on. He kept the receipts he bought the parts from autozone

Old 01-21-2014, 02:13 PM
glc
A flywheel in need of resurfacing isn't going to cause a rattle, it's going to cause a chatter when you let out the clutch in gear to get moving. It's quite likely a shot input shaft bearing in the transmission (common issue with the M5OD, especially behind a V-8), possibly a bad throwout bearing or pilot shaft bearing, or a loose flywheel or pressure plate - or something not properly installed or incorrect part.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is something you might try as a troubleshooting measure. While in neutral with the engine running, push the clutch pedal down about an inch or thereabouts. The idea of this would be to put SOME pressure on the pressure plate fingers, but NOT ENOUGH to disengage the clutch. By not disengaging the clutch, the input shaft of the transmission would still be turning. I realize when doing this, you won't know at what point the clutch actually releases and the input shaft of the transmission stops turning. Something to try anyway.

Yes I suspect either the pressure plate rattling or the input shaft bearing on the transmission.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:22 PM
I should have added something to the first paragraph under #5. Actually slowly push the clutch pedal down and note the point at which the noise goes away.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:07 AM
My apologies for late reply. While in neutral and the truck running I slowly pressed down on the clutch pedal. The noise did not go away until I was practically all the way down. And it just didn't stop it slowly stopped. I could hear it winding down.

Also it goes through all it's gears but It almost seems like there is a loss in power between gears. If I put it in 3rd gear at 40mph is bogs out a bit as if I shifted to early.

Thanks again for all the insight

Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 AM
I'm almost wondering if I should just replace the entire clutch, bearings, flywheel and seals if I'm already going to be in there. It's be a shame tho with parts being new and all. But at least if know it was done right

Old 01-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Oh also it's def more of a chatter than a rattle. Is there a way I could upload a video to this forum or maybe to utube and share the link?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Sounds like the thrust bearing or spigot bearing. Maybe a bent finger.

IDE be pulling it fella. If the thrust goes out then its gonna smoke and smell and sqeeeeel and pile.

If its a few bent fingers then its gonna slip and smell and burn and pile.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Ross-FX4
Sounds like the thrust bearing or spigot bearing. Maybe a bent finger.

IDE be pulling it fella. If the thrust goes out then its gonna smoke and smell and sqeeeeel and pile.

If its a few bent fingers then its gonna slip and smell and burn and pile.
Sorry, you lost ME with your terminology.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:42 PM
I just realized today also that when I'm parked on a slight incline and the engine is off and it's in gear the truck will roll backwards. Just a little bit at a time. (The ebrake doesn't work). So I just park and put it in gear

On all my other manual vehicles if I out it in gear to park it they don't budge unless it's a really steep incline.

Didn't know if this would help diagnose issue

Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by masseyman
Sorry, you lost ME with your terminology.
My apologies old chap.

Thrust Bearing = Release Bearing.

Spigot bearing = The bearing in the flywheel.

Fingers = Release Springs.

The rest = Bad.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:55 PM
glc
Well - whatever it is, the tranny has to come out anyway - I'd pull it and disassemble the entire clutch assembly and look everything over. If the clutch looks good, it's probably a tranny issue.

Still waiting on the parts list...........................

Old 01-22-2014, 06:05 PM
glc
Originally Posted by Ross-FX4
Thrust Bearing = Release Bearing. Also called throwout bearing. It's concentric with the slave cylinder.

Spigot bearing = The bearing in the flywheel. Will be listed as pilot bearing.

Fingers = Release Springs. Pressure plate diaphragm.

Quick Reply: TOB or Input shaft bearing BAD? Need help diagnosing issue.