Quick transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick transmission question

We'll this past Monday I was backing out of my driveway and I started hearing a clanking noise. I thought maybe it was the rear end or maybe I was hearing things so I drove it to school about 35 miles it shifted fine and I even backed up at the gas station and no noise. When I got to school I backed up and it made the noise then Bang! It would move but it made a heck of some loud noises anyway I got it towed and it got rebuilt for 1600 new everything! It shifts great now. They had said the planetary failed and tore up everything inside there was chunks in the pan he showed me and he even gave me part of the old gear train with teeth missing I was just wondering is this common !? For a 4r70w it has 163k I had changed the fluid before and everything anyway thanks guys I was just curious.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
From what I've been reading a lot of 4R70Ws fail before that mileage. But it all depends on how the truck is driven and how often the fluid is changed. My 2000 truck was still going at 170k with no trans problems.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah that's what I'm seeing and I did drive it hard with some mudding and burnouts stuff I shouldn't have done I was due for a fluid change I had been 30k since I changed the fluid but when I changed it I know that was the first time it had ever been changed at 130k so it wasn't maintained from the get go I know with this rebuild I'm going to be sure to do it every 30k maybe even 25k!

Quick Reply: Quick transmission question