hard shift. weak power. slow accel.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hard shift. weak power. slow accel.

So I've been in boot camp and mos school but my old mans got a 94 f150 with the 351w engine. Its soon to be mine but it has some transmission issues. Its like it has barely any power it shifts hard, automatic, shifts hard engaging forward and reverse. And sometimes when accelerating from a stop it has this chugging like jerk from the rear end. I don't remember how many miles are on it. Its rarely low on fluids. Never noticed any leaks. Don't think there's anything wrong with linkage. But when we disconnect the battery and then reconnect it the hard shifting stops for a little while. Any solutions to this problem would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
He needs a transmission rebuild.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drop the pan change the filter drain the torque converter change shift Solenoids.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I think the engine is down on power. Fix what's wrong with the engine and the trans will be fine.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
He needs a transmission rebuild.
That was one thing I was going to do at one point soon. Its got idk +-200k on it with no rebuild. I don't know if that's the root of the problem or not. But definitely wouldn't be bad to do a rebuild anyway. Thank you very much for the reply though

Old 11-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I think the engine is down on power. Fix what's wrong with the engine and the trans will be fine.
That could be possible. I remember the old man did some work on it while back. Put in a new radiator and did some other work on the engine itself. Idk if he checked for fuel pressure and compression though. It doesn't missfire though so idk if that's a problem. The timing is pretty close last time we checked it. Idk what else it could be. New air filter? Not enough compression? I think one of the lifters are tapping but I think we've narrowed that down to the cam itself. Any ideas what could be wrong engine wise? Thank you for the reply

Old 11-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by nonwoven29
Drop the pan change the filter drain the torque converter change shift Solenoids.
I'll definitely try that. Are the shift solenoid in side the actual transmission housing or attached outside? And does the torque converter drain when you drain the transmission? Replacing solenoids is that something I'd do when rebuilding or just the fluid change? Thank you for the reply

Old 11-11-2013, 12:26 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
does the torque converter drain when you drain the transmission?
No. The TC has its own drain plug. Dropping the pan only gets about 5 quarts out, the trans holds about 16.

Quick Reply: hard shift. weak power. slow accel.