03 F150 4X4 Tranny/Driveline Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 F150 4X4 Tranny/Driveline Clunk

My F150 just started to clunk this weekend. It did it 3 times driving from MI to FL. I was searching the problem here and found this TSB that was posted here in 2007. This describes my problem exactly. The 3 times in 1300 miles it did it I was stopped and as soon as I started to move forward it would clunk hard. I haven't had it checked out yet but suspect this maybe the problem. I figured I'd put it up again for anyone else that may have something similar.

TSB 05-26-10

FORD: 1997-2004 F-150
1997-2006 E-Series
1999-2006 F-Super Duty

This article supersedes TSB 04-26-6 to update the affected model years.

ISSUE:
Some 1997-2006 E-Series, 1999-2006 F-Super Duty, 1997-2003 F-150 and 2004 F-150 Heritage 4x2 vehicles may exhibit a driveline clunk or bump that occurs as the vehicle starts to move forward, following a stop. This condition may be caused by the slip yoke not sliding smoothly on the output shaft splines.

ACTION:
Lubricate the slip yoke with Motorcraft PTFE Lubricant. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify the condition.
Remove the driveshaft per Workshop Manual Section 205-01. Be sure to index-mark the driveshaft during removal to maintain alignment during reinstallation.
Lubricate the slip yoke with 7-13 grams (0.25-0.46 oz.) of Motorcraft PTFE Lubricant.
Re-index and reinstall the driveshaft per Workshop Manual.
Verify the repair.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
D2AZ-19590-A (1 lb) or XG-8 (3 oz.) Motorcraft PTFE Lubricant

Old 10-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Follow up.

This wasn't the problem. The splines were dry and I got them lubed. That was the first time the drive shaft was off (90K miles). Later that afternoon I was pulling out into traffic and had to floor it as a fast approaching car was coming up. I had to stop at the next stop light. When I took my foot off the brake the truck didn't roll like it normally does. It felt like the emergency brake was on. I popped the gas pedal to get it rolling and it clunked real hard again. The transmission guy who is very reliable is thinking there is a serious problem in the tranny itself. Tonight while I was driving home I had the window down and was listening for noises. While turning the corners, I could hear something that sounded like metal rolling around in the tranny pan. I'm going to take it back again tomorrow for further troubleshooting. It ain't looking good. I hope I'm wrong, but.......

Old 10-06-2013, 11:45 PM
More follow-up:

Dropped the pan on the tranny and found the filter (changed 6k ago) had fallen out of the transfer tube hole and was laying in the bottom of the tranny pan. The filter was part of a kit I got from Auto Zone. The tranny guy said those kits use parts made from where else...China! He said you have to get filters that are made in the US because they have tighter fits which aids in filter retention. Ford quality failed again too in that they do not have a filter retention mechanism to hold the filter in place. My little Ranger had a clip that held the filter in place. The 03 F150 does not. The tranny guy mentioned that Ford took a cost-saving shortcut and he has seen a few filters that have fallen off the Ford tranny transfer tube. A clip or bolt would have prevented that problem. I think the new made-in-the-US filter was a Filtran/SPX.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:12 PM
I thought I was the lone ranger, I have the same problem, which of course you can never demonstrate for a tech., and the dealer starts quoting transmission prices. My problem started shortly after a Oil Can Henry fluid change at 95k. When you dropped the pan and found the filter, and installed a USA filter did that cure the problem? Lubing the slip yoke itself per the TSB did not help?

Old 10-26-2014, 11:36 PM
clunking

Originally Posted by Capt K
I thought I was the lone ranger, I have the same problem, which of course you can never demonstrate for a tech., and the dealer starts quoting transmission prices. My problem started shortly after a Oil Can Henry fluid change at 95k. When you dropped the pan and found the filter, and installed a USA filter did that cure the problem? Lubing the slip yoke itself per the TSB did not help?
My 05 is clunking at stops also. The tranny guy says the planetarys are going out.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:16 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by caddydaddy
My 05 is clunking at stops also. The tranny guy says the planetarys are going out.
I would say that would be absolutely the last resort as a diagnosis for a clunk on one of these transmissions. I've actually never seen that cause this problem.

Regardless, still an internal issue that most likely involves hard parts though.

Darrin

Quick Reply: 03 F150 4X4 Tranny/Driveline Clunk