Whining Noise changes with Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whining Noise changes with Acceleration

I have a F-150, 2005 FX4. Lately I have been hearing a whining noise that changes with speed. Don't really hear it at low speeds but between about 30-45 MPH it is really noticeable. When it switches to OD, it virtually goes away. When kicking it down out of OD, it comes back. Not sure if it is transmission related or vacuum or what. The pitch changes with speed (gets higher when accelerating). Almost sounds like the truck is engaged in 4WD but it doesn't feel like it, doesn't turn hard and no notice of gas mileage degradation. Took it to the dealer twice so far and the first time, they could not hear it and the second time they said it was cam phaser and gave me a bulletin. But I don't buy it. Don't think it is a rear-end issue because it virtually goes away when shifting to OD. Any help?

Old 09-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Any help? Does not happen in park or neutral. Only when driving. Does not happen when in 4wheel drive either.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Correction...it is heard in 4wheel drive...putting it in 4wheel drive does not make the noise stop or change

Old 09-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Probable Answer

Looks like my issue is going to boil down to a transmission issue. There is an OASIS Special Service Message 21075.

Probable cause: #9 Torrington Bearing in the transmission.

Ford dealer quote nearly 2K to take out, rebuild and replace. The truck has 129,000 miles...they rebuilt it for me at 91,000 miles.

Not happy....going to check around with local transmission shops.

The symptoms are exact as I expereince. Whining noise that increase with speed that is not related to the RPMs or how hard you press on the gas. When the truck hits OD, the noise practically goes away (not noticeable). When kicking out of OD, it is noticeable again.

Obviously no noise when idle or in park (i.e. not belt or vaccum related).

Does not matter in 4-wheel drive or not

Hope this helps someone else out. I have had the truck to the dealer three times until they final heard it, put it on the lift and determined it matched the SSM.

Prior to admitting it, they replace a rear-axel bearing for me for $358...that was probably not even needed. Sick of that Ford Dealer.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:40 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
For 2 grand, I'd live with the noise till the tranny takes a crap.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by glc
For 2 grand, I'd live with the noise till the tranny takes a crap.
Agreed. Or make them do it as warranty work. Should be covered if it's a fatal fault with the trans that they "rebuilt," right?

But then again, the brand new $3,200 trans in my old suburban blew itself up after a little over 30,000 miles, just outside of warranty. Got rid of it because of that Usually Dealer stuff has a better/longer warranty though

Old 09-19-2013, 10:23 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
If the dealer rebuilt the tranny in house, it has a 12 month/12k miles warranty. If they installed a "factory" rebuilt tranny, then it has a longer warranty - I think 3 year/100k miles.

Quick Reply: Whining Noise changes with Acceleration