1990 F-150 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 F-150 Lariat

I recently purchased a 1990 F-150 2wd. It has the 302 (3:55 gears) with ~71k actual miles. It doesn't appear the transmission fluid has ever been changed. I have read multiple mixed reviews on whether to flush the transmission and change the filter or just drop the pan, change the filter and replace whatever fluid is needed. It makes me nervous to do the complete flush and end up with problems. Currently, there are no odors or issues. Any opinions? Thanks! Hopefully, not mixed like everything I have read.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CJB XLT
I recently purchased a 1990 F-150 2wd. It has the 302 (3:55 gears) with ~71k actual miles. It doesn't appear the transmission fluid has ever been changed. I have read multiple mixed reviews on whether to flush the transmission and change the filter or just drop the pan, change the filter and replace whatever fluid is needed. It makes me nervous to do the complete flush and end up with problems. Currently, there are no odors or issues. Any opinions? Thanks! Hopefully, not mixed like everything I have read.
Definitely change the fluid. Do not get a flush. Drop the pan, change the filter, and drain the torque converter. This should get at least 90% of the old fluid out. Refill with the proper fluid.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I cant understand why people think doing maintenance on transmissions is ever bad. It a major part that if it fails your looking at at least 2 grand to fix it. It will fail for sure in a short time if you DONT maintenance it!

Old 08-01-2013, 06:17 PM
I contacted a local Ford dealership and the service individual recommended to drop the pan and replace filter vs. the flush. I don't know anything about transmissions. That is why I am researching here. It is not about not doing any maintenance. It is about what maintenance to do. The truck is new to me and I want to take care of it.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:22 PM
I contacted a local Ford dealership and the service individual recommended to drop the pan and replace filter vs. the flush. I don't know anything about transmissions. That is why I am researching here. It is not about not doing any maintenance. It is about what maintenance to do. The truck is new to me and I want to take care of it.
They should do more than drop the pan. The torque converter up until 2002 has a drain plug in it. The fluid in the TC should also be removed. That way you get just about all the old fluid out, rather than about a third with just a pan drop. Whoever you talked to may not know about the plug, but really should. Ask them about draining the TC.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks kingfish51!! I may try to do that myself. Do you know of any how to write-ups or videos?

Old 08-01-2013, 07:46 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Dealers and other shops generally don't drop pans any more, they just use an exchange machine. That's a good way to do it as long as they use it in the passive mode, using the internal trans pump to move the fluid instead of putting it in flush mode.

You can definitely save money doing it yourself, but it's pretty messy.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks kingfish51!! I may try to do that myself. Do you know of any how to write-ups or videos?
No write ups that I know, but all that is done is to use a socket on the front crankshaft turning it until the plug on the TC is visible at the hole at the bottom of the bell housing. The hole will be covered by a small rubber plug. Drop the pan first and replace the filter. I don't believe the pan gasket is permanent like newer model vehicles, so it will have to be replaced.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e4od has a rubber plug on tc, aod has a inspection plate on front of tc you remove the three bolts. Don't even have to drop the pan, no one does that anymore. Use a fluid suction pump. $4 from harbor freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html find some coupon to go with it..slickdeals.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the info guys!

Old 08-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Need4racin
e4od has a rubber plug on tc, aod has a inspection plate on front of tc you remove the three bolts. Don't even have to drop the pan, no one does that anymore. Use a fluid suction pump. $4 from harbor freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html find some coupon to go with it..slickdeals.
Unfortunately, without dropping the pan, you cannot replace the filter. Something I would do on a 14 year old vehicle that has never had the fluid changed. By dropping the pan, you may find something that shows whether the trannie is in okay condition.

Quick Reply: 1990 F-150 Lariat