transmission or torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
transmission or torque converter?

Hi
I have a 2001 F150, 4x4, 5.4L automatic transmission
I have had this truck for three years now, and the number 2 shift has never worked. If I shift to number 1, D, or R all these gears work well. Last week I changed the transmission fluids and filter for the first time. There were no shavings or metallic in the fluid.
The other thing that I have notice lately is, when I take off from a stop (cold or hot) the truck starts to move when I accelerate but feels sluggish, not the engine itself but more like if the transmission is winding up a rubber band then the transmission catches up to the engines RPM’s. The transmission does have a small leak from the front seal but I make sure I do not run too low before I add trans fluid. Does anyone know if this is how a torque converter go out???

Has anyone run into this, could it be the transmission or does it sound like the torque converter?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by EdgarF150; 06-18-2013 at 04:18 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delete

Old 12-26-2022, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EdgarF150
Hi
I have a 2001 F150, 4x4, 5.4L automatic transmission
I have had this truck for three years now, and the number 2 shift has never worked. If I shift to number 1, D, or R all these gears work well. Last week I changed the transmission fluids and filter for the first time. There were no shavings or metallic in the fluid.
The other thing that I have notice lately is, when I take off from a stop (cold or hot) the truck starts to move when I accelerate but feels sluggish, not the engine itself but more like if the transmission is winding up a rubber band then the transmission catches up to the engines RPM’s. The transmission does have a small leak from the front seal but I make sure I do not run too low before I add trans fluid. Does anyone know if this is how a torque converter go out???

Has anyone run into this, could it be the transmission or does it sound like the torque converter?

Thanks in advance

I'm having the same problem so if u receive any answers or have anymore research to share please let me know . mine did the same thing then just stopped moving so I would like to think its something that I can fix rather than replacing the trans because they tell me its a limited edition trans and they want 1100 for it while others are 400. I just purchased it less than 2 months ago im paying 9500 for an 04 and id like to be able to drive it atleast . thank you for any help anyone has on this subject

Last edited by Kblack; 12-26-2022 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:56 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I have had this truck for three years now, and the number 2 shift has never worked. If I shift to number 1, D, or R all these gears work well.
When you say it doesn't work in 2, what do you mean? Does it stay in 1? Is it in neutral? What does it do in D? Does it shift 1-2, 2-3, 3-4?

could it be the transmission or does it sound like the torque converter?
The torque converter does not know what gear the transmission is in. It works exactly the same no matter what gear the trans is in. If it works in 1, D, and R, the torque converter is fine.

Quick Reply: transmission or torque converter?