Switching to Amsoil, RP or the like

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switching to Amsoil, RP or the like

I have been running your basic Valvoline ATF for 90k miles now in my 2005. I am looking at increased towing and use this summer and since its time for a trans oil change anyways, figured Sybthetic would be better. My truck doesnt have the torque convertor drain so I get about 5qts out with a pan drop. What's my best way to start using syntetic fluid? drop pan twice and go through 10 quarts? drop it once and then do it again in 12k miles?

Posted from F150online.com App for Android

Old 06-13-2013, 10:10 PM
4R75 behind the 5.4l of that makes a difference. 91k miles of relatively easy well maintained use with fluid 15k miles old or so (cant recall the last change) and clean and unburned.

Posted from F150online.com App for Android

Old 06-14-2013, 08:48 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The easiest way is to find a shop that has an exchange machine that will let you bring your own fluid.

Here is the best way to do it yourself:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...nsmission.html

If you changed the filter 15k ago, no need to drop the pan. I personally recommend Amsoil.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:49 PM
I have been looking at the lines on the side of the trans to determine what the best way to remove one is and they are pretty tight up there and have the exhaust right next to them. Still the best place to remove them is right there? What about removing one from the temperature block a foot forward of the trans? Then again I don't even know which one is the output line to start with.

Sure would be easier if they had left the drain plug in the Torque converter.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Made the switch today. Got a smokin price on Royal Purple so I pumped it in. I know the purpose of the thermal block but it sure does add some difficulty to the job....

Quick Reply: Switching to Amsoil, RP or the like