Transmission Moves from Park to Drive, but not other way around.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Moves from Park to Drive, but not other way around.

Something happened in the parking lot today.

The transmission will shift from park to drive (transmission lever moving down) but once it drive it wont go up via the lever (just slides). It makes me think that the cable isn't broken but may be something else.

I had to line up against a curb. Moved from Park to reverse. Backed up a few feet and went back to park. Let off brake and it was still in reverse. This took me too far back and I moved from park to drive. Pulled up a few feet and shifted to park. Took my foot off the brake and it kept going forward.

Seems to shift "down" P>R>N>D>2>1 but not "up" 1>2>D>N>R>P

I was able to make it home by shutting the truck off,Putting on the parking brake, climbing under and pushing the transmission manually into park, starting the truck, and shifting "down" into drive. Got home and tried to shift to park and it wouldn't go.

Is there a spring inside the transmission that makes it pop "up" into other gears?

Its like the cable will pull down into P>R>N>D but there's nothing to push back up to D>N>R>P.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Look at the very bottom of the steering column. There is a bracket that has 2 torx screws in it that the cable attaches to, could be that one is gone and one is loose. You have to be on your back on the floor to see them.

Also check the selector on the trans for the bolts being loose. That probably isn't it, but check it any way.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solved

I found out what was wrong.

The shift cable runs down from the cabin to the transmission right next to the exhaust pipe leading from the engine to the catalytic converter. It looks like the heat from the pipe has burnt through the plastic casing for the cable, so when it "pushes" it just bulges out of the side of the line where the casing is damaged. I can't tell whether the cable itself is damaged, so I may have to replace the whole thing. ($80) First, I'll try putting some tape to seal that melted point and zip tie it out of the way.

Thanks for the reply.

Hope this helps someone else.

2007 F150 5.4 V8 AT

Old 06-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting the problem! Not many people do that.

Quick Reply: Transmission Moves from Park to Drive, but not other way around.