Transmission Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 12:56 PM
gtk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Fluid Leak

About three weeks ago, after my truck sat still for three days, I noticed under my 2010 platinum, a puddle of fluid. At first I thought it was differential fluid. The outside temps had fluctuated from mid-60's to high 20's over the course of a day. I wiped it up, but couldn't see exactly where it was coming from.

I've had a pan under my truck ever since, and no more leaks.

once again, I have let my truck sit for three days. The temp again dropped last night to mid-30's, and this morning I had a fresh puddle. I was able to tell it was transmission fluid this time.

It looks like it may be leaking from around the rear of the pan.

Question, would you just tighten up the pan bolts, or take it to the dealer just to let them see? It's not enough fluid to really do any harm.. Could the fluctuation of temps be shrinking the gasket enough to cause the leak?

thx

Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 PM
If it doesn't have a transmission dipstick, then get it checked asap.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2009 Lariat is doing it also. My kid crawled under and said it was the pan. I haven't had the time to check it myself, and I am not worried since I have only put 300 miles on it since the 1st of the year. Once I get it checked out, I will post my findings.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:27 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
If you are still on warranty, take it in.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:40 PM
gtk
Turns out it was leaking where the wiring goes into the pan. There was a TSB for it. They replaced the plug & topped off the fluid.

Good to go now..

Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Leaking transmission

I took my 2012 Platinum in at 9,400 miles for an oil change and they noticed the transmission was leaking. They got me a rental so I could go on my trip. When I got back they said it was a leak in the housing. Instead of replacing the entire transmission they pulled the guts out and stuck them into a new housing. A week after I get it back the transmission goes crazy, jumping out of gear, shifting up and down, dash flashing and even jumped into 1st gear on me at 60mph! After the temp got above ~130 it seemed to shift OK. Next morning it was the same thing all over and then just finally locked up in 3rd gear. I had to drive it 35 miles in 3rd gear so I could get it back to the same dealer. I have 3 tickets written up on it now so just waiting for the next time so I can file a Lemon Law claim. They called yesterday, after having it only a day, and said I can come and pick it up. Kind of scary and damn good thing my wife wasn't driving it at the time!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:32 PM
My Ford f-150 4x4 supercrew.

I have a 2010 Ford f-150 supercrew 4x4 an I hadn't drove my truck in a few days I get up this morning an there's a hugh puddle under my truck it has a red tint to it...And I haven't drove it for 3 days. If it was a trany leak wouldn't it do it all the time?? I had watched it for days an no puddle now the 3rd day of not driving it there's a puddle I don't get it. I thought it was the frezzing temps but last nite it was in the 40's....

Old 01-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red fluid = transmission fluid. Just because it was sudden, doesn't mean it isn't leaking...

If you are still under warranty, get that truck to the dealer ASAP.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:52 PM
just had my 09 with 112k in for the tranny that is suppose to be service free up to 150k and have a valve body seal leaking 857 bucks later everything seems to be back to normal. Mine was during the first real cold snap. Went to back out of the driveway and got the wrench on the dash then check eng light and it felt like it was in a limp mode. Get it checked asap like dbhost said.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:46 AM
I had my engine oil changed on 12-27-13,38800mi. 2010 f150. Dealer trying to sell transmission fluid change, I declined. They showed me the fluid it was grey. They didn't notice the wetness at rear of transmission pan. When I got home I rotated my tires. Was looking around under the truck. I noticed wetness around the rear of transmission pan, And around the electric connector. Still have to schedule to have repaired.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:17 AM
2011 F150 transmission leak question

Can you drive the truck if it is leaking fluid? Pulled a trailer into a campground on the 4th of July weekend. Nothing open until Monday. No dipstick to check levels(whose great idea was that???). It was leaking enough that the front of the trailer had a light spray of oil droplets. Have paper under the truck and no leak showing. Any suggestions?

Old 07-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Abehmlander
Can you drive the truck if it is leaking fluid? Pulled a trailer into a campground on the 4th of July weekend. Nothing open until Monday. No dipstick to check levels(whose great idea was that???). It was leaking enough that the front of the trailer had a light spray of oil droplets. Have paper under the truck and no leak showing. Any suggestions?
Abehmlander,

Were you able to get an appointment at a dealer to have them look at your truck this week?

Ashley

Old 01-02-2015, 11:59 AM
My 09 does the same thing after sitting for a few days when cold. Just checked it this morning, small drip marks on driveway. Appears it is leaking around the electrical connection wires going into tranny. A bit difficult to see because of a heat shield right next to it. Feeling around it there is fluid underneath plastic. Seems to follow lowest point toward front and drips off rounded nipple on trans. Gasket shows no sign of wetness.
Anyone had connection replaced?

Old 01-02-2015, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's very common for the bulkhead connector to leak. Mine was leaking at 75k miles. Here's video about the problem:

Old 01-15-2015, 09:39 PM
tcp2, Thanks for response and video. Yeah that's what it appears to be. Would have been better if pan did not need to be dropped, but no need to complain.

Thanks! mg

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Leak