shift and slip issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shift and slip issues

I have a 1999 F150 with a 5.4L V8. It has 236,000 miles. The truck has been sitting unused for several months. The transmission was fine when I parked it but, recently I got it out and started to drive it again.

Now, I'm having some problems with the automatic transmission. It accelerates fine through first and second gears. Shifts smoothly from first to second. However It doesn't seem to want to shift into third then it begins to rev and slip.

I have checked the fluid level and It's fine. I did detect a "slight" burnt smell to the fluid on the dipstick. It hasn't been driven very far at all since it first began to slip.

I think I'm going to pick up a filter and change that first. Any other advice?

By the way: I have never serviced the transmission. I talked to a mechanic back when I bought the truck (with 118,000 on it) and he told me that, since I didn't know if the transmission had been regularly serviced, then It would probably be best not to do anything to the transmission. I thought at the time that this seemed like crazy advice. That's why I asked a second mechanic and he seemed to agree. So I didn't do anything. And that was almost 120,00 miles ago.

Thanks,

Mitch

Old 08-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
its on its way out.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:46 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
If you don't mind the cost of 14 quarts of fluid and a filter, drop the pan, change the filter, and drain the torque converter.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by kornbread
My advice is that changing the filter is a waste of money. It won't help. You most likely have something wrong with the direct clutch. The trans has to come out to fix that.

By the way: I have never serviced the transmission. I talked to a mechanic back when I bought the truck (with 118,000 on it) and he told me that, since I didn't know if the transmission had been regularly serviced, then It would probably be best not to do anything to the transmission. I thought at the time that this seemed like crazy advice. That's why I asked a second mechanic and he seemed to agree. So I didn't do anything. And that was almost 120,00 miles ago.
I agree, that's crazy advice. Look at it this way. You still got 120,000 miles out of it, even following crazy advice.

Originally Posted by glc
If you don't mind the cost of 14 quarts of fluid and a filter, drop the pan, change the filter, and drain the torque converter.
That's not going to help. It's done.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Well I dropped the pan and there didn't appear to be any metal shavings in there. I'm on my way to the store to pick up a filter, some replacement fluid, and a quart of the Lucas transmission additive. I had to come in and shower first. Somehow I got transmission fluid in my hair.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

Btw: The original plug from the factory was still in the pan. I assume the Transmission has never been serviced. Or else whomever serviced it left the plug in there. 236k without a fluid change. Wonder how long it would've lasted if I'd taken proper car of the thing??? live and learn.

Thanks,

Mitch

Old 08-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Well, after dropping the pan, changing the filter, adding 3 qts of fresh fluid and a quart of Lucas transmission fix, no change...

Still won't engage in third gear. It's smooth as silk though first and second but when it hits third it just revs.

I turned the overdrive off and took it down the road. I got it up to about 50 mph but the engine was turning 3000+ rpms. So I backed off and brought it back home.

Any advice on where to go from here?

Thanks,

Mitch

Old 08-26-2012, 03:25 PM
I thinks it's time to visit the transmission shop. Talk to friends and/or co-worker's to find a good shop to visit. Do not go to the dealer as it will cost twice as much.

Good luck,
James

Old 08-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Any advice on where to go from here?
I think post #4 had a suggestion of where to go before spending money on fluid and a filter. You can still follow that advice.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:06 AM
Just came on looking for advice on pretty much same problem,and was ndering if you ever had the torque converter drained and done a complete fluid change?
I feel like mine is done, because she has around 250K on her, and I have always taken her to one of the fastlube shops and they would hook her up and suck and flush the entire system out about every 50k miles.
I bought my 97 Lariat in for 2001 w/150k on it fr only $8k!
Knew the kid I bought it from and he asured me he had taken good by changing all the fluids regularly.>>>> BSSSSSS!!!!!! He had never changed the tranny fluid,(I know this because the factory dipstick shipping plug was still in the pan!) in And it also was burning motor oil at the rate of 1qt every mth.>>>>> So I put in 1qt of LUCAS every oil change and that fixed my burning oil problem.>>>>>> Then when the tranny started making a funny sound and jerking when going from 2 to 3rd gear around 50mph, I had all 14qts of fluid sucked out,added motorcraft cond,and changed the filter, and now she has over 250k on her! >>>> Anyway, atleast I got another 100k out of her (wish I had used LUCAS in the tran also,cause I probably would not be writing this if I had!)>>> But now when shifting from 2 to 3rd it is falling back to 2. It only does it sometime but is getting more and more frequent.
Well, does anyone know if if will be worth a shot with this many miles on her, to go ahaed and pay for a complete fluid/filter change and add the LUCAS, before taking her to the shop to price a re-build? Also, what would you guys think about just removing 1qt of fluid and addiing 1qt LUCAS to see if that helps first??? Also, is it possible to siphen with a hose the fluid out through the dipstick and add the lucas thru the dipstick(to keep from having to pulll the pan???>>>>> Sorry for the long read, but dang its hard for me to put all of this into words!!!Lol>>>>>> Thanks a bunch! Chris @ 8503274842wo

Old 08-29-2012, 05:50 AM
I have a 1999 F150 with a 5.4L V8. It has 236,000 miles. The truck has been sitting unused for several months. The transmission was fine when I parked it but, recently I got it out and started to drive it again.

Now, I'm having some problems with the automatic transmission. It accelerates fine through first and second gears. Shifts smoothly from first to second. However It doesn't seem to want to shift into third then it begins to rev and slip.

I have checked the fluid level and It's fine. I did detect a "slight" burnt smell to the fluid on the dipstick. It hasn't been driven very far at all since it first began to slip.

Thanks,

Mitch
PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FOUND OUT ABOUT YOUR PROBLEM @ scottsphoto2@aol.com >>>>> Because I am having the same one,I think???
Thanks, Chris

Old 09-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am guessing that you have the same issue as this:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=463637

Old 09-15-2012, 06:54 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by KC8FLB
I am guessing that you have the same issue as this:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=463637
Thanks so much for the help. I did check out the link and hope to be able to save some $$$$ in the future with that info!
But, I also wanted to let you know what my problem was so maybe you could help someone else on here in the future days.
Anyway, cant remember if I stated earlier that my prob was only rearing its head ever now and then, so it was hard to find, but turned out that it was my shifter on the column.>>>>> The 97 had some wires in there where the shifter meets the column,and they were shorting out when evre i placed it in gear (sometimes)
Hope this will help someone else out there!

Old 03-17-2017, 04:57 PM
leftylenny

just purchased 05 150 practically brand neww other than shift issues pulled pan of course found plunger kinda perplexed at first but realized it was a factory deal and after reading this is the case 137000 no metal but would not start out I would have to baby the eccelerator for it to move and shift what up???

Old 03-17-2017, 05:02 PM
rebuilt a few 42re's (jeep grand cherokee) worked the bugs out of these but where should I start with this 4r75w

Old 03-17-2017, 05:20 PM
leftylenny

trouble codes p0731,p0732,p1000 where to go from here

Quick Reply: shift and slip issues