Tranny or transfer case grinding sound??

Old 02-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny or transfer case grinding sound??

A few weeks ago I went fishing after a lot of rain and I had to go through a puddle. That ended up being a miniature pond. I have Mud Dawg's, so I put it in 4x4 L and tranny in 1 gear and had to go back and forth a few times, but eventually got out. Every since then I've had this grinding sound from underneath. I'm figuring it's the tranny or transfer case. I really need help with this!! I don't want it to turn into big money repair!! Just a dumb question, but is there anywhere or way possible that the muddy water and dirt could have gotten into either of them??

Thank you for ANY info!!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, depending upon the height of the water, it could have gotten in both diffs, trannie, and TC. They all have breathers normally high enough that water will noty get in, but if it does, you need to change fluids immediately or wind up with damage.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Ok thank you!! I'll be getting right on that!!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Well I don't think it's the tranny or TC. I opened my hood to check the tranny fluid and the noise got more loud and noticeable. It sounds like it's coming from the motor. I'm really confused now!!

Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take the serpentine belt off for a minute and see if it still does it. If not, it is one of the front end components.Just don't run it too long because the water pump isn't turning.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by JCR 56
Take the serpentine belt off for a minute and see if it still does it. If not, it is one of the front end components.Just don't run it too long because the water pump isn't turning.

Ok took the belt off and the sound went away. So what does that mean?? Belt bad?? Needs cleaned?? Thanks for any help!!

Old 03-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whitten1823
Ok took the belt off and the sound went away. So what does that mean?? Belt bad?? Needs cleaned?? Thanks for any help!!
No it means one of the items that is driven by the belt is bad.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
No it means one of the items that is driven by the belt is bad.
Well it hasn't over heated, the battery hasn't died, power steering works fine. So that leaves the crank, cam,.........I'm sure I'm missing something else. Those are surely not great choices to go bad at this moment either!! How exactly can they be going bad?? Sorry for all the questions, I know just enough stuff to do maintenance on it myself.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It could be the belt tensioner pully, idler, A/C compressor, alternator, power steering pump, water pump, even the fan clutch,it won't be the cam or crank. Just something the belt turns.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:48 PM
[Your question after going through small pond]

Originally Posted by whitten1823
A few weeks ago I went fishing after a lot of rain and I had to go through a puddle. That ended up being a miniature pond. I have Mud Dawg's, so I put it in 4x4 L and tranny in 1 gear and had to go back and forth a few times, but eventually got out. Every since then I've had this grinding sound from underneath. I'm figuring it's the tranny or transfer case. I really need help with this!! I don't want it to turn into big money repair!! Just a dumb question, but is there anywhere or way possible that the muddy water and dirt could have gotten into either of them??

Thank you for ANY info!!
just curious what the culprit ended up being with that noise, I have the same vehicle.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:20 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
That member hasn't logged in for 9 years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny or transfer case grinding sound??