04 F150 Lost overdrive, servo clip broke
http://www.f150online.com/forums/tra...roke-pics.html

ISSUE
2004 Ford F150 lost overdrive, some of the symptoms of this include:
• No overdrive
• Shift right into neutral
• Not able to engine brake into 2nd gear
• If you turn of OverDrive, you can drive normally within the first three gears
This was caused by the overdrive servo retaining clip snap and lodged into the a valve on the valve body
Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

04 F150 Lost overdrive, servo clip broke (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ttp://
Originally Posted by tim98
Update

Well after tearing it apart twice and some valuable help from MLD and Darrin its finally fixed. As MLD stated I forgot to engage the OD band onto the point of the OD Servo shaft. Since I had problems with it I figure I would take some pics for other people to reference.

This pic shows the access hole to the overdrive band. You can see the small hole in the band itself. This is where I used a pic to slide the band toward the servo.

This pic shows where the detent or slot of the overdrive band is. You can't see it but I have the pic in the hole of the overdrive band pushing it over. This is where you have to be able to slide the band over, hold it, and try to raise the servo into position to catch the band detent. It took a couple of trys but eventually got it. Slapped everything back together and I now have overdrive again. Thanks for everyones help.

Fantastic! Glad to hear you got it working. I guess I'm up next. ...

Old 03-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aloha guys!
Great thread, awesome information. Was having the same problem with the broken OD snap ring. Followed everything step by step. Put it all back together, added fluid, started it up, and BAM... nothing happens. Its like the truck is in neutral, no matter where the shifter is. i can roll the truck. tried messing with the shifter manually from under the truck with no results. Anyone can steer me in the right direction?
Thanks!!!
Eric

Old 03-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
MAke sure you put enough fluid in and let the truck idle for a good 10 min or so. Then place the vehicle in reverse and hold it there for a minute or two. Place in drive and hold for a minute or two. Place in park and top off fluid.

Initially I had the same problem. I didn't put near enough fluid in the first time and it became aerated (foamy). Let it settle and let all the air circulate out of that valve body before trying to move.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Awesome,
I glad you had the same problem, makes me feel a little better. Ok so ill try what you have suggested. Thanks for the quick reply. Will update.
Eric

Old 03-07-2012, 10:25 PM
In the process of letting it idle, just wondering while im sitting here, i dont have a touque wrench, could i have not/over tightened the valve body puting it back together.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Ok... So its a no go. I can hear the engine change idle going from park to reverse, then again from reverse to neutral, and again from meutral to drive. I also noticed i have the feel of engagment from the shifter all the way to 1st. However going back to park i loose the feel at neutral. The shifter goes to the park position, but i neet to go under the truck at manually set it to park via the arm comming out of the transmission. Ideas?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:13 PM
OK after rereading your first post it sounds like something happened with the shift valve. It may have been installed wrong. If your truck rolls while in neutral then the parking pawl is not engaging. Sounds like it needs to come apart again.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:45 AM
Thanks Tim98. I do appreciate you taking time to help me out here. I will drain the ATF and tear into it again. Will try to find the parking break pawl.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:54 AM
THANK YOU TIM98!!!! Truck is running. I put the screen filter back in wrong tearing up the gasket and smashing the filter. Put a new gasket and filter in, torqued that valve body back in sequence, add fluid and its a go! Did the littlet trick with putting it in park and reverse. My shifter cable was burnt up and that was the problem with it not shifting back into park. It does shift into second gear realy hard. Dont know what would cause that. But it is running. Thank you again!
Eric

Old 03-12-2012, 10:05 PM
No problem. Glad it worked out. Mine shifted funny for a day or so but smoothed out.

I did not mention it in the write up but the little black screen that is in the valve body should be thrown away. Its used during assembly to keep debris out. If you put it back where it came from there is no harm though.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:10 AM
I realize i may have missed something in my searches but I am limited on down time of my truck!! thanks for your help in advance.

so quick question on this subject, I basically have all these symptoms going on, but I had a vibration that seemed to be more with rpm than speed before my OD went out. the truck would vibrate almost like there was a drive shaft out of balance or a tire out of balance. it was mostly at highways speeds while low rpm starting up a hill in OD, and once it down shifted it would go away. my 2nd gear engine breaking does work, but there are no codes seen when scanned with a snap on scanner. I am pretty good with a wrench, but an AT is foreign to me. what step should i take next. The vibration doesn't seem to be a symptom any one else has had from what I've read.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Torque shutter

I'm no expert but it sounds like torque shutter. Best start is change you tranny fluid.Don't forget to empty as much of the torque converter as possible, some have drain plugs(depends on year).
After it's done and refilled a good practice is to go through gears and leave each for a couple of minutes at idle.

If anybody can add or correct me, please do.

Thanks
Bum

Old 03-16-2012, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by manstang46
I realize i may have missed something in my searches but I am limited on down time of my truck!! thanks for your help in advance.

so quick question on this subject, I basically have all these symptoms going on, but I had a vibration that seemed to be more with rpm than speed before my OD went out. the truck would vibrate almost like there was a drive shaft out of balance or a tire out of balance. it was mostly at highways speeds while low rpm starting up a hill in OD, and once it down shifted it would go away. my 2nd gear engine breaking does work, but there are no codes seen when scanned with a snap on scanner. I am pretty good with a wrench, but an AT is foreign to me. what step should i take next. The vibration doesn't seem to be a symptom any one else has had from what I've read.
If you have 2nd gear engine breaking then you may have another problem because that would indicate the OD band at least works partially. The OD band is used during second gear so if you have lost OD then it may be another issue.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:41 PM
I wanted to thank you guys for this thread. I had the same problem. Dropped the pan and valve body and the servo ring was missing about 1/4-1/2" off one side.(just a little past where the ring notch should be. I was able to get the ring out but can't find the missing piece anywhere.
I haven't put it pack together, so before I do, I'll give it another once over. Is there a possibility that it was ground up?

Tim: the black screen screen your referring to, that can be thrown away. Is it kind of triangular shaped and pointy about 3/4"tall. This fell out when the valve body dropped and I can't for the life of me find where it cam from.

I'll let you know how the reassembly goes... Again, thanks you all for the detailed info and drawings.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by gbailey99
I wanted to thank you guys for this thread. I had the same problem. Dropped the pan and valve body and the servo ring was missing about 1/4-1/2" off one side.(just a little past where the ring notch should be. I was able to get the ring out but can't find the missing piece anywhere.
I haven't put it pack together, so before I do, I'll give it another once over. Is there a possibility that it was ground up?

Tim: the black screen screen your referring to, that can be thrown away. Is it kind of triangular shaped and pointy about 3/4"tall. This fell out when the valve body dropped and I can't for the life of me find where it cam from.

I'll let you know how the reassembly goes... Again, thanks you all for the detailed info and drawings.
Yes that screen is for initial assembly. You don't need it.

Make sure you look at all the spool valves in the valve body. It can get jammed in there pretty good and its hard to see. You also may need to remove the back side plate.

Quick Reply: 04 F150 Lost overdrive, servo clip broke (pics)