04 F150 Lost overdrive, servo clip broke
http://www.f150online.com/forums/tra...roke-pics.html

ISSUE
2004 Ford F150 lost overdrive, some of the symptoms of this include:
• No overdrive
• Shift right into neutral
• Not able to engine brake into 2nd gear
• If you turn of OverDrive, you can drive normally within the first three gears
This was caused by the overdrive servo retaining clip snap and lodged into the a valve on the valve body
Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

04 F150 Lost overdrive, servo clip broke (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Not really stock parts. He bought a modified valve body. Something that would address his issues and improve shifts

D

Old 12-09-2016, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3/4th gear issues

So I managed to get back in the tranny today. New Gaskets, new fluid, torqued to spec and good to go. So I though. The jump from start to first is gone. A small victory. Second gear seems fine. 3rd gear is pretty particular and I cant say I found fourth at all. So to describe how it acts. If i accelerate normally when I hit 30 mph it will move in neutral when it should shift to 3rd – just as it did when I lost overdrive. If I gas it will power through and makes it in 3rd. IF I stop accelerating (after powering through) and try to REinitiate 3rd gear then it will move back to neutral. So what do I do - I turn overdrive off and it will go into third gear without issue, but not fourth. I got up to 60mph at 5k RPM and I got off the next exit.

When I pulled the valve body I went through all the valves I could pull, but I noted the 2-3 shift valve would not come out. I think it has a threaded release. I poked and prodded and so on and so forth. It did not come out and I was afraid I would damage the casting, spools or accumulator so I let it be. Additionally I suspect this valve as this was where I found my broken piece of e clip.

Anyway I’m out of ideas. I could repull the valve body and get the 2-3 valve out but I just don’t know if its worth spending another day on this. It’s getting pretty cold out and I suppose its time to take it to a shop. Let me know if you have any insight or suggestion.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:27 PM
I know this is an old thread but I used it and other research and solved my lost overdrive problem. My issue was 2004 with 143,000 suddenly lost OD but everything else worked. I took off pan and valve body and my retaining clip was shattered in 8 pieces one of which I found inside valve body just like pictures above. It was wedged in a spool valve inside valve body. My OD servo eclip also broke allowing servo pin to punch a small hole in reinforcing plate beneath. So I replaced servo assembly, reinforcement plate and OD servo retainer clip. Made sure the OD band was back on servo pin while jacking the servo up with scissors jack and piece of 1.5" PVC pipe. Replaced the retainer then reinstalled valve body. Filled with 10 qts of Mercon V and on the test drive everything worked. Overdrive is functional again. Thanks to all.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:18 AM
anyone help in South Florida for this?

Originally Posted by ROBinGa
I know this is an old thread but I used it and other research and solved my lost overdrive problem. My issue was 2004 with 143,000 suddenly lost OD but everything else worked. I took off pan and valve body and my retaining clip was shattered in 8 pieces one of which I found inside valve body just like pictures above. It was wedged in a spool valve inside valve body. My OD servo eclip also broke allowing servo pin to punch a small hole in reinforcing plate beneath. So I replaced servo assembly, reinforcement plate and OD servo retainer clip. Made sure the OD band was back on servo pin while jacking the servo up with scissors jack and piece of 1.5" PVC pipe. Replaced the retainer then reinstalled valve body. Filled with 10 qts of Mercon V and on the test drive everything worked. Overdrive is functional again. Thanks to all.

It would be great if anyone can refer a mechanic in the Fort Myers Florida area to help me get this resolved. I was quoted $2100 for a new transmission for this.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:30 PM
Exclamation

I appreciate the resources in this thread; I've learned a ton that I would never have figured out by myself.

That said, I also lost OD (with no engine braking in 2nd), and following the directions, I dropped the pan and valve body and found the snap ring all in pieces. The servo had also beat a hole in the plate, so had to get another one.

Picked out the chunks and reinstalled everything. Still no OD.

I wasn't totally sure that I seated the servo correctly, so I dropped the valve body again to double check. Snap ring installed correctly, servo was in place, the band had not snapped back, so I put it all back and tried again. Still no OD.

I'm afraid I still may not have seated the band correctly. The instructions I read said to push the band over and hold it in place while installing the servo, which I did, and the band did not pop over (couldn't see the hole) after the snap ring went in.

The way I understand it, there's a "lip" on the band and as long as the servo tip is "behind" it and catches, that's it.

However, I'm still without OD, so two possibilities exist:
  1. The servo was not installed correctly
  2. Something else is wrong

Could someone give advice?

If there is something I missed with the servo, I have no problem dropping it again (I'm getting pretty good at that). Should I have replaced the whole servo (c-clip was not broken)?

Otherwise, if I should be looking at something else, please tell me where.

Thanks and I appreciate the resources here.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 Expedition Limited

Originally Posted by DCLoppy
I had around 150,000 miles. This particular failure would not be directly related to the load. If it was related to anything, it would be to the number of cycles of the overdrive (and second gear braking). So extensive driving where the truck was constantly shifting in and out of overdrive MAY hasten the failure. The stress on the O-ring will actually occur when shifting out of overdrive.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:42 PM
2006 Expedition 158K miles, looses connection at 20mph - revs like shifted to neutral.
Operates in 1st and 2nd only with OD off. I suspect the 2-3 accumulator is stuck and the OD Servo clip is broken.
I'll report what I find.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:00 PM
OD compressed with Floor Jack and OD in place with hacksaw blade
Originally Posted by Expedition Jim
2006 Expedition 158K miles, looses connection at 20mph - revs like shifted to neutral.
Operates in 1st and 2nd only with OD off. I suspect the 2-3 accumulator is stuck and the OD Servo clip is broken.
I'll report what I find.
NO broken Clips and 2-3 Accumulator looks fine, all valves move freely in the Valve body and Check bxxxs are present and not damaged.
The OD Band is under pressure - have not depressed OD Servo to watch band move.

Could the lack of 3rd and 4th gears be an electrical solenoid problem?

Last edited by Expeditoin Jim; 02-06-2018 at 10:27 PM. Reason: add photo
The following users liked this post:
Old 03-04-2018, 01:39 PM
One more huge thumbs up for this thread and EVERYONE who has contributed. I too am one of those who lost overdrive on my 4R70E (2004 new shape) AND once I put everything back together, still didn't have overdrive.

I pre-purchased a replacement and upgraded Superior K092 valve body plate - having read that they can develop hair line cracks; a replacement overdrive servo 'C' retaining clip (F2VY-7384-B) as well as 3/8" 'E' retaining clip (generic item from eBay), electrical wiring harness - in case I break mine whilst removing (F8AZ-7G276-BA), a new filter (F6AZ-7A098-A), top, middle and lower paper gaskets (two sets just in case), as well as 12litres of Mercon V.

I'm pretty handy with a socket set, undertake my own services, but by no means a 'mechanic' and have never touched a trans. However, with the assistance of Youtube and a PDF guide (somewhere in this thread), I took to dropping the oil pan and getting to work.

What I found was a C clip broken into six pieces, an E clip broken in two, hairline cracks in the valve body case and a servo valve which came out with the valve body . Pretty relieved that I had at least pre-purchased everything! The only thing I didn't need was the spare electrical harness as removal wasn't too tricky (but best be safe than sorry and I installed it anyway).

I made sure to collect all the C and E clip pieces, using a jack and a bit of plastic pipe I locked the servo into the overdrive belt (making absolutely sure that it connected properly) and assembled everything back together with roughly 8 litres of fresh Mercon V.

However, I still didn't have overdrive . So, the following weekend I thought I'd have one more go - spurred on by many of you who also committed to another oil rain shower .

This time, I fully stripped the valve body as although I removed all the broken clip pieces, the valve body didn't look the cleanest from the first time round, but I assumed it would be fine (!).

There's a great PDF somewhere in this thread which shows you exactly where all 8 check bearings are located, the rest is easy as long as you remain organised, take lots of photos before and during removal and lay out the parts as you dismantle. Two cans of brake cleaner and just over an hour, I had a shiny and fully functional valve body again, all torqued to 10Nm. As a little side tip, I didn't have a flat head screwdriver which was the correct diameter as the springs and struggled to secure them back into the valve body, so I cut down an old plastic loyalty card to an exact fit.

I reinstalled everything, poured in the remaining 4 litres of fresh Mercon V I still had remaining from the initial order and re-used the rest I had just flushed out.

Took to the highway and with a huge amount of anticipation, boom!, we had overdrive and the transmission was back in business .

I hope this helps someone one day too. Don't give up and don't assume that none of those broken clips couldn't have ground down a tad into the valve body. Take everything apart and clean it to save yourself the bother of dropping the pan twice .

Attached Thumbnails 04 F150 Lost overdrive, servo clip broke (pics)-img_20180304_175727.jpg   04 F150 Lost overdrive, servo clip broke (pics)-img_20180303_131859.jpg   04 F150 Lost overdrive, servo clip broke (pics)-img_20180303_105414.jpg   04 F150 Lost overdrive, servo clip broke (pics)-img_20180303_102135.jpg  

Last edited by EViS; 03-04-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:23 AM
Thank Evis, and all the other contributors.
I ordered the Super Kit from Transmission Bench .com and it has the Sonnax Zip Kit.
My transmission has smooth direct drive clutches and the Sonnax kit has O-rings on the OD servo; that stops the pressure from leaking around the Servo piston shaft (in the aluminum housing).
No back together yet, but at least I know why I have no 3rd gear.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Brain
I just wanted to say thanks to all who have contributed to the thread. My father has a 2004 F-150 and it this this 'over-rev' problem a couple of times over a couple of months, but would go back to working normal. That is until we were on a trip 600 miles from home when OD went out alltogether. WE made it back home in 3rd (about 70MPH, but raised the RPMs by about a third). Gas milage wasn't great, but I have made that trip before in that truck when towing trailers (also in 3rd gear - no towing in OD!!!). My dad took it into a local shop and was given an 'estimate' of $1,800. He put it off until after a trip.

Anyways, while he was on vacation, I read over this thread, gathered the parts and dug in, and guess what I found? Surprise - the c-clip had just the tip broken off! (Nobody is really surprised by now, are they?) The piece was stuck in the boost valve just like the original posted showed.

The clip cost $2.23 (including tax), a new filter (and pan gasket) only cost about $12, and I picked up 6 quarts of Mercon V (at about $6.10/quart) - but I ended up needing 10.5. There were valve body gaskets available at the dealer if I needed them (If in doubt, replace them). The original pan gasket was a reusable type - and I would suggest reusing it if it isn't broken (as do the instruction inthe filter kit).

After seeing how little of the clip broke off (at the weakest point of the 'eye'), I decided NOT to remove and replace the clip. Here's why:
1) There is a risk of damaging the bore while trying to get it out.
2) The old part was still functioning (holding the servo piston in place).
3) A new clip would have had an extra end to break off and get stuck in the booster valve again. This way I only have one 'weak' part left to the clip'.
4) The 'new' clip had a burr on the spot where the 'old' one broke - at the eyes. I would have had to file off the burrs in order to get it completely flat. (I wonder how many of these issues are caused by the originals having burrs)?

There were three extra pieces of information that I needed...

I accidentally tipped the ***** out of place, so I needed to know where they went. It is pretty obvious, but a diagram always helps (there are eight of them):
http://www.justanswer.com/ford/1ny8n...-problems.html

Then, when reassembling, I knew there was a torque value and sequence to the valve body bolts. I used a 1/4" torque wrench from Harbor Freight (<$20) that I had bought seval years ago for a different transmission project. Here is the torque sequence and value (89 in-lb - last page):
http://www.imarksweb.org/aws/view.ph...5vdGVzLnBkZg==

That same file had the pan bolts torqued to 10 ft-lb (120 in-lb).

Hope that helps somebody else....Thanks again!
i would definatly replace the clip it probably took some wear. If u dont its more likley to break from the fatigue. My clip broke into 8 peices. I got 140000 out of tranny with no problem and im probably not going to get another 140000 without something else breakibg befor new clip breaks again.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Expeditoin Jim
Thank Evis, and all the other contributors.
I ordered the Super Kit from Transmission Bench .com and it has the Sonnax Zip Kit.
My transmission has smooth direct drive clutches and the Sonnax kit has O-rings on the OD servo; that stops the pressure from leaking around the Servo piston shaft (in the aluminum housing).
Not back together yet, but at least I know why I have no 3rd gear.
Figured out the Direct Drive drum had all the teeth stripped off - where it slides onto the output shaft teeth.
Now with a new Direct Drive drum and the Sonnax Zip Kit, all new clutches and seals, and most of the bushings replaced - All works great.
Yes I rebuilt it myself.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-16-2018, 09:56 PM
Fixed the OD, now tranny slips

Fisrt of all thank you for all the info. I too had the overdrive issue on an 05 Expedition. I opened up the trans and found the small e clip had broken and a piece got stuck in the servo. So I went and fixed it all, put it back together, added 10.5 quartz of fluid, went though all the gears, checked fluids again, and everything else I think I should have done. Overdrive is now back, but the trans seems to slip now. When I am on the gas it is not as evident, but shifting between 2 and 3 seems to slip (engine revs for less than a sec before it engages). When I had the valve body appart the ***** came out. I think they got put back but not sure if that is my issue. I am at a loss.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by jeyochim
Fisrt of all thank you for all the info. I too had the overdrive issue on an 05 Expedition. I opened up the trans and found the small e clip had broken and a piece got stuck in the servo. So I went and fixed it all, put it back together, added 10.5 quartz of fluid, went though all the gears, checked fluids again, and everything else I think I should have done. Overdrive is now back, but the trans seems to slip now. When I am on the gas it is not as evident, but shifting between 2 and 3 seems to slip (engine revs for less than a sec before it engages). When I had the valve body appart the ***** came out. I think they got put back but not sure if that is my issue. I am at a loss.
my truck does the same after the repair. But it is more of a hard shift than a slip. Some people said a bottle of that lucus trans slip addative helped the rough shift might help yours to. Ill add some and let u know how it works

Old 05-12-2018, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by 28offroader
Just had the same problem, truck sits at 110,800 miles.
I actually broke both clips. Installed a new complete servo, retainer clip and fluid. Went faster than I thought, only took a couple of hours to complete. The bottle jack trick made life easy. Only thing was I did'nt have a torque wrench that did 89 in/lb for the valve body bolts. Hand tight with another short twist is close enough, lol.

Pic after taking valve body off. Problem clearly exsposed.
Attachment 25213

Pic of broken clips. Last small piece I accidently dropped in the old fluid and did'nt dig out.
Attachment 25214

Thanks for posting up the fix guys!!
what’s the piece in the middle. Fell out on mine and can’t figure out where it goes

Quick Reply: 04 F150 Lost overdrive, servo clip broke (pics)