TC is making noise. Time to go built!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC is making noise. Time to go built!!

Well there is a strange sould coming from the TC area. Not a metal to metal sound, but more like a belt rubbing type sound. I've got a couple TC slipping codes while towing in the past so seems like it's upgrade time.

Since the TC shouldn't really make noise even when failing so we think it might have expanded and is pushing forward on the crank. It's parked to save the motor. We'll have to dial check the crank movement once the trans is out to ensure thrust washer is still in spec.

If I'm pulling the trans to get to the TC then I'm going to replace the whole trans as well. Well truthfully i don't have time to do the removal/install so local trans shop will do it for about $500 and i provide fluids. Dealer wanted $1000 labor plus fluids.

Working with Mike Troyer to come up with a TC & Trans combo that can handle the supercharger & 8k trailer i tow. The TC he has in mind has 100in of contact surface against the factory 23in's. It also has a tq mult of around 2.2-4 against the factory 1.5-8. All that without an increase in fluid temps over factory. That will mean a lot more power hiting the trans so building it up is a must.

I already ordered new super cooling rad, aux trans cooler, & inline trans filter. (Mike's advise was to replace all these as they are stacked coolers and can't be properly flushed). He advised not replacing could ruin new trans.

I think my TC was ruined by running bad tunes. Before i got my Troyer tunes i was running tunes from a popular company in NJ. They IMO really didn't know how to properly tune for the VB i had in the trans. I'd be running 70mph on a flat with the TC unlocked. Yeah not good. 4 months like that. Troyers was perfect tune for VB from the start.

Anyway susposed to talk again with Mike on Monday to hopefully finallize and get the build on.

I'll keep this updated as movement progresses.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Had the truck running today to finish up some wiring for the e-fans. Took a short video of the TC sound.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/uVnhjbnr9GU

Old 12-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Screwd up

Well here's my update.

i screwed up pretty bad yesterday.

Went by the dealer and sat in a fully loaded KR F250. Good god those are nice. Basied on the sticker price there is a pot of gold hidden somewhere in the truck.

Right at $65k. KR, 4x4, 6.7 ltr PS, CrewCab, Gold Bronze, Nav, Sync, sunroof, sliding black glass, spray in bed liner, hard bed cover, tailgate step, Duel alts, duel climate control, duel power heated seats, power inverter, etc, etc.

Guys i'm not kidding it may have had a dish washer under the back seat i just didn't see!

Didn't test drive cause i knew what that would have led to. I have access to x-plan so not sure of actual price out the door.

Thinking about just trading the truck in on it and leting them take their quote on a new TC off the trade in.

Not sure what the trade in would be on it with the SC installed. I'm sure it brings down the value some. Was thinking if i gave them all orig parts it might help keep it up.

Kinda sick at the thing right now so don't feel like pulling it off if i do trade. I don't owe on truck and hate to go with another payment, but might.

Trade in should be $20k-$22k - $1k for TC which is what ford quoted me for a stock replacement including labor.

Truthfully i'm so sick at it i wouldn't even pull nav unit, dvd headrests, billet grill, efans, trans pan, etc at this point. Might pull easy stuff like HD heads/tails, brake cont, gryphon, but not much else.

My towing needs should easily be met by a SuperDuty. I have always owned gasers so that would be a big chg.

Anyway that's the update. I'll update as updates are avail

Last edited by sugar-rush; 12-04-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Had an E-150 van at work once that the engine to trans separator plate had swollen from salt/rust corrosion on the drivers side. The flexplate would rub against the swell. Had to pull the trans to change the separator plate. Don't if it will help but thought I'd throw it out there. Can't remember what the engine/trans were.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Consider thread closed

Guys i bought the F250 so this thread is dead.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have told you that I know one person that has built me a trans, and supplied me with a tc that have well met my needs for my truck.

But... I understand entirely the lure with the diesel.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:42 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
why did you tell the dealership about the torque converter issue??

Old 12-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
why did you tell the dealership about the torque converter issue??
Because i'm an honest person. I'm not saying you're not. I'm just commenting on why i told them about it.

We agreed $1k was to be taken off the trade in value for the TC + labor.

Not to sell short the amt of money $1k is, but if i were concerned enough to lie when asked if there is anything wrong with my trade in then i have no business buying a $65k truck.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:42 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I was just wondering, since 99.99999% of people wouldn't have told 'em

Quick Reply: TC is making noise. Time to go built!!