Auto Transmission Life Expectancy

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:46 PM
MLD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by damiansalmond
Great question. Kinda makes me curious about the programmers. They say they are supposed to extend life by keeping use of the clutch minimal. I wonder if there is any truth in said statement.

subscribed
In theory. It would seem to stand to reason with a shorter interval/time for your clutches.

One thing I did between my opening post here and recently, was to go through the valve body. I found a worn overdrive regulator valve and bushing. Ripe for a future 4th gear band failure. And I replaced the pressure regulator ( for line pressure) and installed a Transgo shift kit. Kit raises line pressure among other things.... real nice btw....

One the subject of firmer shifts paving the way to a longer tranny life, could possibly on side two of the coin, shorten it. Me thinks increasing line pressure via an electronic tuner or in my case a stronger spring in valve body could stress the seals in those drums--- in otherwords blowing the O-rings. Especially in reverse. For some reason trannies in reverse make a lot more pressure vs. forward. I can tell in reverse that there seems quite of bit more firmness now, with that tiny little reverse spring they give you to put in the line pressure solenoid bushing..... it was optional for reverse; maybe I should've left it out......?

Old 11-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Not if they increase engine power.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine lasted just a tad over 38K miles, the power increase killed it I am sure, and I hear about it everyday from the wife.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by batn68
mine lasted just a tad over 38K miles, the power increase killed it I am sure, and I hear about it everyday from the wife.
I would be interested in what you did to improve the 4R75E. I have had a slight issue with mine being a little rough at take off, but fine after that. So I have been looking around at Where and What you can do to improve the 75E. The thing is, I haven't found very much specific information on the 75E, the 70W, yes. That makes me feel as if these 4R75E must be pretty good transmissions if there is very little aftermarket support for them. If you have any links or recommendation on beefing up the 75E, please pass them along.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by MeanGene
I would be interested in what you did to improve the 4R75E. I have had a slight issue with mine being a little rough at take off, but fine after that. So I have been looking around at Where and What you can do to improve the 75E. The thing is, I haven't found very much specific information on the 75E, the 70W, yes. That makes me feel as if these 4R75E must be pretty good transmissions if there is very little aftermarket support for them. If you have any links or recommendation on beefing up the 75E, please pass them along.
The 4R75 is able to flow everything you need through the stock trans, you just need a tuner to tell it that lol. that's why you don't see aftermarket valve bodys or anything for them.

Mine lasted 58k miles and my dads lasted about 75k. He has a reman unit and i have a new one from Ford, hopefully I can make it last 100k this time

Old 12-04-2011, 02:58 AM
Right now, I have 113,000 on it, and I abuse it regularly. No problems, just a little rough during takeoff. After a full on burn through second, I actually think it works better. Maybe I am too easy on it?

Old 12-05-2011, 05:36 PM
sorry did forget to mention I put in 2 qt. bottles of Lucas too. Helped a little but only the warm up works. Sounds crazy don't know why the warm up works but it does so I do. Trying to think of a tranny warmer so I can plug it in with a timer so I don't have to go out and sit in a cold truck.

thanks

Walt

Old 12-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by walt1122
sorry did forget to mention I put in 2 qt. bottles of Lucas too. Helped a little but only the warm up works. Sounds crazy don't know why the warm up works but it does so I do. Trying to think of a tranny warmer so I can plug it in with a timer so I don't have to go out and sit in a cold truck.

thanks

Walt
Its because the torque converter doesn't fully lock until the trans is at 80*

Old 12-09-2011, 11:29 PM
270 on my 99 4.6 2-2

but my trans is going out now.put a window switch in at about 110 so if it blows today can't complane..

Old 12-11-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm at just shy of 220k. I only got the truck at 180k about 2 years ago and I'm not real sure on the maintenance habits before I got it (I know he was real good about fixing problems and changing oil...) but its been flawless. Of all the things that have given me little issues, the tranny isn't one. Put Amsoil in it about 10k miles ago and the difference is incredible.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
Its because the torque converter doesn't fully lock until the trans is at 80*
Hi ak_cowboy, if the converter needs 80F before it fully locks are there any work arounds?? Sitting in the truck's cabin when the temp is 20F outside waiting for tranny to warm up isn't as much fun as it used to be ( if it ever was any fun ).
I still haven't found the barrel heater ( 350W @ 12V) I planned on putting on the transmission pan but probably not the best solution.

thanks

Walt

Old 12-12-2011, 11:45 AM
I usually just drive mine. It only takes about a mile or so to warm it up to 80, this is after letting the engine warm up also. Just make sure not to really get on the throttle until you're down the road a ways.

You could also get one of these to plug in with your block heater
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CKEBEPMCMAU

Old 12-12-2011, 02:22 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
It's 95f, not 80f.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by walt1122
Hi ak_cowboy, if the converter needs 80F before it fully locks are there any work arounds?? Sitting in the truck's cabin when the temp is 20F outside waiting for tranny to warm up isn't as much fun as it used to be ( if it ever was any fun ).
The work around would be a custom burned chip. The quickest way to warm the transmission is to drive it. It takes forever to warm the trans if the truck isn't moving. It also takes a lot of fuel to warm the trans without driving the truck.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have 260k on my 4r70w. i didn't get the truck til it had 128k miles on it already, pretty sure it wasn't touched though. at 200k miles i dropped the pan and changed the fluid in it and filter. very very little shavings on the magnet and very little clutch material as well.

i have a larger trans cooler i will be installing, but not until the trans gives up and i do a rebuild on it and flush the lines.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Life Expectancy