EcoBoost 1-2 hard shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EcoBoost 1-2 hard shift

Any other Ecoboost owners out there noticing an abnormally hard shift from first gear to second gear under normal acceleration from a stop? If I accelerate hard it feels smoother. Shifting from 2nd on up is normal, its just from 1st to 2nd. Also, sometimes when rolling to a stop there seems to be a hard downshift. I can only describe it as it feels the same as if you would pop a manual transmission out of gear without using the clutch when deaccelerating. Hope there aren't any issues with this new tranny. Do the 5.0 and 6.2 share the same tranny? Anybody have issues with those setups?

Old 06-08-2011, 02:21 AM
my 2010 with 4.6l 3v does the same thing. I had the tranny flashed by dealer. Sort of fixed the full stop bump. But still shifts hard 1 to 2nd gear.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:06 AM

I don't have the Ecoboost but I have a 2010 5.4 SuperCrew FX4. I called one Ford dealership and the lady straight up said, "You just have to get used to it. Its learning and its all computer operated now with no cables. So it takes a sec to get it." I was like, even if that is somewhat true, thats crap and called a different dealership. Dropped it off tonight and they'll be working on it tomorrow. I'll let you know what they say. Reading around on here, not uncommon. Some have mentioned several solutions ranging from a proper drive cycle after a reflash, to having a TSB applied, to getting the most recent software update. I'm not sure what the solution is, but its there in mine as well. That first lady said it all appeared from 2010 on up because it was no longer "manual cables," or something along those lines. The way I describe mine is like its getting gas, but its not in a gear and then it catches. So we'll see.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:49 AM
pretty common issue apparently. mine does the 2-1 bump downshift occasionally while pulling up to a stop. i think i sometimes inadvertently magnify the issue by letting off the brakes right when the tranny downshifts to 1st. i also notice the bump downshift more when the tranny is cold. also, putting the tranny in tow/haul mode seems to decrease the frequency of bumpy downshifts. anyway, not sure you can really do much about it. maybe that tsb would help...?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:51 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
That first lady said it all appeared from 2010 on up because it was no longer "manual cables," or something along those lines.
F-150 transmissions haven't had "manual cables" since the early 90's. They haven't had throttle cables since 2003.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by glc
F-150 transmissions haven't had "manual cables" since the early 90's. They haven't had throttle cables since 2003.
Thank you for the info. Now you know why I'm at a different dealership with it. Even if she was somewhat correct, to tell me "just get used to it" seemed unacceptable. Haven't heard from the dealer its presently at yet.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by russ10screw
Thank you for the info. Now you know why I'm at a different dealership with it. Even if she was somewhat correct, to tell me "just get used to it" seemed unacceptable. Haven't heard from the dealer its presently at yet.
Same thing Ford Customer Service told me. That's a pretty appropriate response for a $30k -$40K purchase right ?

I have had 6 f-150's now and never had a problem that wasn't fixed as it should have been. Come on Ford, do what's right and address this issue !

2010 FX4 SCREW 5.4 3:73

Old 06-11-2011, 12:49 PM
I hated how mine shifted too (11 EB SCab, 3.73) Way hard and a lot of clunking. Dealership reflashed the tranny, cleared the adaptive learning curve. It much better now but sometimes it still will have a crappy shift (make a clunk). Sounds common, which is dissappointing b/c it's my first ford and first new truck ever.

Found this thread on here clears it up pretty well. I think it has to do with the electronics not working well together (still some bugs needed to be worked out in programming or sensitivity issues in throttle and tranny) and crappy mechanicals (the slip yolk off the differental poorly designed) Look at the video on page one.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ting-stop.html

I paid a lot of money for a brand new truck thinking I was getting the best and I feel pretty let down right now. It's a tollerable issue for now but if it gets worse and ford doesn't fix it, I'll trade and go back to GM. Driven them for 20 years and never had anything this shady with their product. They weren't perfect but I was never told "that's just the way it is, sorry". Whatever you do don't take "this is normal" for an answer.

I'm starting to understand ford's commercials "highest initial quality" that window of the first 20 miles the thing is great then the little bugs come out. I'd rather have "highest lifetime quality". Again, nothing is perfect but to have ford say "it's normal" is worse than having to pay to fix it yourself.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:11 AM
I bought mine about 2 weeks ago and it's the same story....kinda got used to it but what I can't get used to and sort of pisses me off is the 4-5 shift point in town....at 51km/h it shifts in 5th gear and 49 it downshifts in 4th...I live in the city and how many time per day do i go over and under 50km/h!!!!!NEVER STOPS SHIFTING!!!!!(I know I can use the select shift but this should of been thought over)

Old 08-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excessive shifting and abnormally hard shifting will lead to tranny trouble down the road!

Old 12-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Tsb 11-7-18

Old 12-29-2011, 08:06 AM
my 03 does the 2-1 bump stop, i think they intentionally program the tranny to ever so slightly "enginebreak" when decelerating.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:29 PM
TSB 11-10-15 seems to fit the OP's issue better:

TSB 11-10-15

HARSH 1-2 SHIFT BELOW 24 KM/H (15 MPH), HARSH DOWNSHIFT SHIFTS - FLARE ON UPSHIFTS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/15/2011

Publication Date: October 12, 2011

FORD: 2011 F-150

ISSUE:

Some 2011 F-150 vehicles built on or before 4/15/2011 may exhibit a harsh 1-2 shift at or below 24 Km/h (15 MPH), harsh downshifts and/or a flare on upshifts.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the concern.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) using IDS release 75.03 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. Using the IDS tool, clear the transmission adaptive table - Select Tool Box, Powertrain, Transmission, clear Transmission Adaptives. Perform adaptive drive procedure. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 307-01 Diagnosis and Testing, Road Test - Adaptive Drive Cycle.

NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

Quick Reply: EcoBoost 1-2 hard shift