1994 F150 E4OD Hard shifting into 2nd & 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 F150 E4OD Hard shifting into 2nd & 3rd

My F150 has 90k miles and was never used to tow anything or carry anything bigger than a golden retriever. This truck is driven like a baby. It shifts very hard into 2nd and 3rd but not everyday. AAMCO said I need a rebuilt for $3000.00. I find it hard to believe because when it shifts good it it flawless. It doesn't shift hard when you start from 0mph to 60mph getting on the hwy, just when driving slow. I changed the fluid and filter yesterday and the pan was very clean and only about half of shot glass of mud like metal on the magnet. I disconnected the battery for 30 min and aamco said they cleared the codes but I can't tell if it works because it doesn't happen all the time. The light on the overdrive never did blink.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:43 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Did you also drain the torque converter?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:35 PM
torque converter was drained and it's 2 wheel drive

Old 06-03-2011, 12:28 AM
I have the exact same problem with my 94 F150. It has been happening now for 10+ years. About 5 years ago two different shops told I needed to replace my trans...so I did. About 3 days later it was shifting hard again.

Still don't know what's wrong, but if I ever figure out what it is and it's a $3 part i'm not going to be happy.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:50 AM
I just changed the fluid a week ago, I was told only change it after 100k miles. For some reasonit does it a lot less and not every day. When it shifts hard I put it into N and back into drive and it stops. I have read other blogs and my next step will be to change the MLP sensor. I cant find any local part store that has it or knows what I am talking about.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:20 PM
thats it.......... the thread stops there?????

what happened? what was the outcome? what did you do next??

my truck is doing EXACTLY that same thing, i got excited thinking there was an answer at the end of this and it just stops.....

WHAT IS THE OUTCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-27-2012, 12:44 AM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Check for a trans code, Pull the trans pan off and the trans valve, clean it, inspect and replace/look for damaged part. Assemble and good luck. It may be fixed.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:22 AM
as i posted on FTE site...

Thanks for all the information. Out of all the info I gathered from the other posts and what people suggested, I went the route of electrical first. I unplugged EVERY single harness from the transmission to the PCM and from the rear end (where the VSS is) and cleaned every female end with a pic and male end with a tiny flat head screw driver to clear corrosion from them all. I then covered the female end of each one with a decent amount of dielectric grease and put them all back together. Drove 200yds and it still did it, then all of a sudden it quit. Drove another almost 75 miles through my gravel road country and it did great! We'll see what it does in the morning from a cooler start. Hopefully it was just a crap wire/connection along the way!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:11 PM
cleaning all the harness connections and using dielectric grease really helped but I still had a small hiccup along the way...

ADJUSTMENT!

the sensor at the shift linkage ( i call it the neutral safety switch ) but whatever you want to call it, i think was just a bit off.... adjusted that a bit and 150 miles later on gravel, interstate, and city streets, she's done me good!!

thanks to everyone for all the tips and "look for's"

Sorry to anyone I pissed off with the caps... promise it won't happen again!!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
An just one loose/eratic connection. Good find. Another simple, back to basics problem. And we know it happened.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:15 AM
And we're back to square one............

Yesterday i drove it from dads to my place (all of maybe a 1/4 mile) and it did fine, shut it off, went in and got the wife, got in truck to leave again and BANG... it did it again.........

so I'm back to suggestions. don't get how I can drive it over 300 miles of moving the shift lever and shutting it off and back on over a dozen times and it does fine, then all of a sudden we're back to where we started.

Quick Reply: 1994 F150 E4OD Hard shifting into 2nd & 3rd