04 f150 5.4L tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the wires going to your transmission range sensor. Sometime they get scratched up and short out the fuse that also goes the hego sensors causing it to shudder as well .check the wires .check fuses

Old 12-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Since I replaced the coil packs and plugs, the symptom has has never come back.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:49 AM
Transmission

I am having this issue with my 04 f150 also. When I put it in over drive it stops doing it. Will this lead to bigger problems if I don't take it in or is it fine to run it ?

Originally Posted by Racer97
I'm having the same problem with my 04 f150 tranny. Just started recently, if I'm up above 40 mph and it kind of settles into gear(off throttle like you said), and say I'm going up a hill or want to get back on the gas, it feels like the tranny is slipping(has 3 slips/bumps). It's difficult to explain without actually feeling it. Took it to the shop and was told my torque converter is going out.....possibly be something you should look at? My tranny problem could be my stupidity though, I've had an edge evo programmer since april 10' and have had it set on setting 2(Towing performance) and I never tow anything, so that's probably caused havoc on my tranny.
Hope this helps
-Jake

Old 08-24-2015, 02:25 PM
I know this is an old thread...

About 4 years ago I was having the same problem...it would jerk after shifting into OD...I swore it was the transmission...since the warranty was almost up on the tranny put in at 51K I took it to the dealer...They did a couple of TSB's and changed the fluid...it was still there...drove for a week with their computer hooked up to it to record the events...no good info...

Finally, they found the #3 cylinder misfiring...the relplaced the coil and all was good...

They really had to look for the misfiring cylinder as it would not give a code...

I would strongly recommend replacing the coils...and the plugs if they haven't already been changed...you would be surprised...

Old 09-01-2015, 08:38 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kcward
I know this is an old thread...

About 4 years ago I was having the same problem...it would jerk after shifting into OD...I swore it was the transmission...since the warranty was almost up on the tranny put in at 51K I took it to the dealer...They did a couple of TSB's and changed the fluid...it was still there...drove for a week with their computer hooked up to it to record the events...no good info...

Finally, they found the #3 cylinder misfiring...the relplaced the coil and all was good...

They really had to look for the misfiring cylinder as it would not give a code...

I would strongly recommend replacing the coils...and the plugs if they haven't already been changed...you would be surprised...
You don't know how many arguments I have been in as I tried to explain that the problem is not the transmission but instead the ignition. I have been cussed out and hung up on more than a few times.

What I don't get is why people will not accept that there might be a miss and seem to want the problem to be in the transmission. Don't they get it how much more expensive a transmission problem is?

I always tell them to buy 2 coil packs. Start swapping out with the front cylinder on each side and drive to see if the miss has gone away. If not then move the new coils back to the next cylinder and repeat until the problem goes away.

This they can do in a few drive cycles and for a lot less than pulling the transmission. Then when they find that it is the coil packs, I tell them to replace them all or at least get a couple more for when it happens again.

D

Quick Reply: 04 f150 5.4L tranny problems