extreme cold made tranny seal pop out

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 04:25 PM
YKX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
extreme cold made tranny seal pop out

besides the cardboard in the front thing, is there another way to fix this so tranny front seal wont pop out again during extreme cold day, like -30ish/-40ish.

mine popped out and blew the front seal while i was travelling down highway. luckly warrenty covered it all and replaced tranny.

Thanks

YKX

Old 03-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Was the truck cold when this happened? Your tranny should run the same as any of ours do once it warms up. It's just the first few miles that are an issue.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:54 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It should not pop out in the extreme cold. A lot of these trucks are run at extreme cold temps and their seals don't pop out. Blocking the rad will not reduce the cold on start up. Your transmission might have a cooler bypass valve. When the transmission is cold it recirculates the oil back into the transmission bypassing the cooler. This warms up the fluid faster.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
not that the extreme cold would cause them to pop out, but i wonder how much pressure is built up if the truck is driven 70 mph shortly after it is started on a -40* day.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YKX
besides the cardboard in the front thing, is there another way to fix this so tranny front seal wont pop out again during extreme cold day, like -30ish/-40ish.

mine popped out and blew the front seal while i was travelling down highway. luckly warrenty covered it all and replaced tranny.

Thanks

YKX
Just for my own curiosity do you warm the truck up for 10 or 15 minutes when it is that cold out or do you subscribe to the 30 second warm up and drive away theory?

Quick Reply: extreme cold made tranny seal pop out