shift solenoid probloms!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shift solenoid probloms!

I have a 1994 f150 with a 302 auto trans with overdrive!
Truck started kicking coming out of first gear and stalling in reverse! only when it was kicking. when it wasn't kicking truck performed normally! now truck stalls in drive and slips a little in 1st gear! was told it was the shift solenoid! ordered it, guy told me simple to change but now claims he is not sure where it is located! any advice for a novice diy guy??? And am I looking in the right place for this problem??????
Thanks

Old 02-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm assuming you have the AODE trans. Shift solenoids are located on the main control assy. right next to the TCC solenoid. Can't miss it once you get the pan and filter removed. E4OD transmissions have a solenoid pack with all solenoids in a seperate, compact block. Both very simple to replace. BTW, Shift solenoid concerns will NOT cause slipping. Good luck! Cheers!

Old 02-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Shift solenoids won't cause stalling, either.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:34 PM
when it is working normally it does not stall at all! runs great but as it starts to act up it has been stalling mostly in reverse! just started doing it in drive.. No codes nothing! runs normal in second, third and od! was told that it could cause the stalling but definatly kicking from first to second is the shift solenoid! Am I being led down the wrong path to find this problem?
Thanks

Old 02-25-2011, 02:37 PM
and where is the shift solenoid located was told to dismantle the valve bodies inside the transmission and I will find it! Looks like a large black cluster on passenger side that looked like it has electrical contacts under the inside cover! I am good at repairing everything except the trans! any advice?????
Again thanks

Old 02-25-2011, 02:47 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The trucks never had the AODE. You either have a E4OD or 4R70W. What's the trans code on the door jamb sticker? "E" is E4OD, "U" is 4R70W.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Trans code is an "E"

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've got a E4OD. Remove pan and filter. Remove wiring harness connector at right rear of trans just above pan/ case contact point. May have a small heat shield covering connector. Remove 9 torx and 1 10mm fastener at solenoid body. (should have a orange or yellow cover over the circiut board) GENTLY tap solenoid body from top with small hammer being very careful not to damage VB/AB gaskets. Should drop right out. Clean everything and install new solenoid pack. Easy peasy japaneasy. Good luck!

Old 02-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys,
@pickledpolak,
I got the pack out no problem but where in the heck is the shift solenoid?
Or do I have to replace the whole pack? Talked to the local parts place and they do not have any listings for a pack! Dealer? any diagrams available for this that gives a breakdown???

Old 02-26-2011, 07:44 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
You have to replace the whole pack. I'm betting what you bought was for a 4R70W.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:21 PM
kinda thought it may be that way! Thanks for all the tips guys

Old 03-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Ok this may get lengthy but I will explain I know my truck! And I am so baffled by this! Maybe somebody can explain!
I Again it is a 94 F 150 with a 302 engine 4x4
Transmission is an E40D (Code on door is an "E")
The truck has 160 thousand, I got her 61/2 years ago!
Been working on her since!
Anyway, after driving the truck hard (70 - 75) Turnpike speeds
more than say 30 miles, get off the pike or other highway
come to a stop, engine still performs as normal, while excellerating around 12 miles an hour shifts out of 1st gear and kicks, kicks hard (replaced u joint because of it)
Drive say a week or so doing it constantly just 1st gear.
at this time when you put trans in Reverse truck would bogg down!
Then the kicking goes away, shifting is smooth again! NO bogging in reverse either! a month or so would go by or I had to drive her hard again!
Then the kicking starts up and the bogging in reverse!
off and on all of fall and winter!
My first attempt at the shift solenoid (found out I got wrong part)
I drained all tranny fluid, removed the solenoid pack (found out right part) (DID not get new part yet!)
I repeat have not gotten NEW part!
Now the system is drained And the solenoid pack is removed.
Realizing I have no choice but to put it back together it was a Sunday!
Recycled the fluid due to the fact it only had about 50 thousand miles and looked good!
Filtered the old fluid and put it back in the system!
started truck warmed it up ran thru all the gears to get fluid flowing!
Including reverse, NO STALLING and no bogging down!
Ran truck Monday to work 22 miles, Trans hasn't operated this smooth since I bought the truck!
Ran it from 2-26 to 3-6
Then I rechecked the fluid!
To realize it was low! added a little fluid! TRUCK started kicking and stalling in reverse!
Tonight drained some fluid back out to see if it would correct itself!
Running thru the gears it dies in 1st, 2nd and reverse with foot on the brake and in that gear!
Fuel pump and system are not even a year old! it is NOT a fuel issue!
Any suggestions short of driving it off a cliff??? lol
Sorry took me so long to repost internet issues!

Old 03-12-2011, 07:01 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
When you check the trans fluid is the trans warmed up, in park, and with the engine idling?

Your problem is the torque converter clutch is locking when it should not be locked. That can be caused by the wrong fluid level, loose fitting internal filter, a wiring problem to the torque converter clutch solenoid, a bad torque converter clutch solenoid, worn/leaking internal seals, a worn pump, or a bad torque converter. I don't follow your logic on why you thought it would be a shift solenoid.

I don't see how you can rule out a fuel issue without testing it. I don't think it is likely to be a fuel issue, but ruling out systems without testing is a great way to not find problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shift solenoid probloms!